Are There Any Words That You Have A Hard Time Pronouncing or Spelling?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• man in black
    man in black

Aurora,,,,, I just can never say it right.

Sounds like I have a mouth full of marbles when I say it.

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I've always had problems with species and specific, probably because I lisped when I was little.

Today in A and P I could not say "glomerular filtration". Grrr

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

tahe, or is it tahee, tahea, tahae, (the)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is one thing I am generally pretty good at--spelling and fluency of speech. However, I do not like using the phrase "I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses" because it is a lie (and embarrassing). I also hate anything that might bring praise to Jehovah and/or any organization bearing His name, since I despise that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I have to stop before I say "wasp" or else I will say wop. Now that sounds really stupid when that comes out.

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

"Is it Jesus' or Jesuses??

as in belonging to Jesus."

Now...I'm a home schooler and only a self-proclaimed spelling/speech/grammar snob (and very unjustifiably so, cuz I suck at all of it a LOT lolol) BUT...

I believe the "rule" is that when it's a proper name and ends in "s", then no additional syllable should be added. So for your example it would simply be Jesus, not Jesuses. I'd give other examples, but can't think of any now LOL

generally speaking, I have pretty great pronunciation skills (not trying to toot my own horn, just being realistic)....I like to attribute that to my mom teaching me how to read at the age of 3. Most, if not all of my "youth" I was a couple of years ahead of my peers' reading level. When it comes to spelling, though....I feel like I've dumbed down over the last several years and I don't know why. Just today I couldn't remember if it was spelled "ingrained" or "engrained".....I still haven't looked to see which it is!! LOL What makes it even more embarrassing is that I'm a medical transcriptionist and my job depends on correct spelling. Fortunately, there's a specific vocabulary to work with, so I don't have to worry about a ton of variables!!!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's supercalifragilisticexpiallidocious even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious if you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Aw, come on Minimus...you sure you didn't say Unique U Nork? You are one in a million then!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yeah... "Thessalonians". I end up sounding like I'm lithping lisping.

• minimus
    minimus

I heard scholars on TV pronounce what belonged to Jesus as Jesuses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit