Are There Any Words That You Have A Hard Time Pronouncing or Spelling?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

This is what gets me every time and I don't know why. It's not hard to say or spell, but when I see it in print it hits my brain pronounced as:

"Hyper bowl"

Hyperbole!

r.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i was about 30 something before i realised the place spelt Wrotham which makes perfect sense to me to read and pronounce as rotham was pronounced rootam, i only realised after one of my friends said get off at the rootam junction and then had a pissy fit cos we ended up stuck on the m25.

i always thought it was some mysterious place that everyone talked about that i'd never been to.

• tec
    tec

Melancholy

I had never heard this word spoken out loud. I had only ever read it in books, and so in my head I pronounced it 'mel-ank-oly'. One day I was trying to tell my sister that I felt 'mel-ank-oly'. She frowned, and I repeated a couple of times... until she burst out laughing and corrected me. To compound my embarrassment, my sister is a teenage know-it-all (I speak with great love and affection here) and half my age!

Tammy

• White Dove
    White Dove

Siboleth

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

aluminum

• stillin
    stillin

lisp

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

You mean aluminium? ;-)

• White Dove
    White Dove

Isn't someone gonna kill me?

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

I have a daughter that can't say cinnamon to save her life.....but I really can't think of a word that trips me up. I would tell you what I have a hard time spelling, but I can't spell it. That's embarrassing.

I also knew a whole group of elders in my old hall that couldn't say Revelation. It was always Revelations. Drove.Me.Crazy. They also axed a lot of questions. Wonder when they'll axe me from the stage?

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

hors d' oeuvres

Weimaraner

Alzheimer's

Polyps

Colonoscopy

and finally..........The

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit