What kind of Witness were you?

by EmptyInside 33 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

There always seemed to be some Witnesses who seemed to be in it for the social aspect of it. The ones who planned most of the gatherings and trips. And the ones who got invited to the parties two states away. And of course, there were the ones who were more hardcore and just worried about getting their pioneer hours in and doing extra research. I sort of fall into the middle.

And I wondered if the social butterflies were more likely to fall away because of hurt feelings and the scholarly more serious types leave because of issues with doctrine.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I grew up as a witness, never was hard core, just went through the motions. When I went through a divorce, it was easier not to be active, and after awhile, then I realized that it was NOT the truth. Just did what I had to do. Like I said, went through the motions.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I was a very hard core MS.

• peaches
    peaches

very social within my own congregation,,,,then i become completely the opposite,,,,not the congregations fault,,,life causes...i was an elders wife and not a good one....had book study in the home etc etc etc....but not mega theocratic....

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

There is an idea of a notverylikely as a JW; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my lack of FS hours, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense I know more about the bible and your religion than you do... I simply am not there.

/shameless stolen from one of the most under-appreciated movies of all time, but very close to 100% spot on

• dissed
    dissed

I was hardcore all the way, a zealous Zombie for the WTS. So much so that CO's visited us for encouragement. lol

"Me mindless Zombie. Me eat flesh. No blood, just flesh. Blood wrong."

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was the lonely single mother who tried to fit in but the clicks wouldn't have me. PO's wife even told me bluntly that she didn't have time to visit. It was at the hall before meeting and I went up to her where she was sitting with her nose in a book and I mentioned that we should visit each other more. She also asked right in front of everyone in the parking lot one morning before we all went out (we were already assigned car groups) how was "she" going to talk at the doors?, meaning me. She didn't ever work with me before and I guess didn't want to start. I was assigned to her car group but she wouldn't have it. I got reassigned, much to my embarrassment and disappointment. I really really tried to be a good JW. I never left anyone out to sit by themselves before or after meetings, like the old people and disabled. I sat with them and talked with them.

• tec
    tec

Whitedove - their treatment of you sounds awful. I'm so sorry. You sound like a very caring and empathetic individual.

Tammy

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I went in because I thought I would be destroyed otherwise, and was looking for truth. They took that away.

After they took that away, I was in to try to provide a little value to others (selected others, not indiscriminate others) within the congregation. They took that away.

After that, I had no reason to stay in and waste my time.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Tammy,

Thank you:) I noticed that it's the nice ones who leave and come to this board. We all noticed the injustice and lack of love in the congregations and have decided to not support it anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit