"Take away my birthday"

by OnTheWayOut 9 Replies latest social humour

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I used the phrase on another thread and realized it might be of interest. ".... take away my birthday" is: a sarcastic response when someone warns you not to do something that is considered socially unacceptable. Example of usage: 'You really shouldn't drop stink bombs in the class room the same day of finals.'

'What are they going to do? Take away my birthday?'
    It may be of interest because it is exactly what Jehovah's Witnesses have done to members and their family. They took away freedoms and went so far as to take away our birthdays. Comments?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Yeah. But I got mine back. So there, governing body!

Interesting thought though Otwo. Birthdays don't mean that much to me now that I have celebrated a few of them. Part of that is that I am over 50 and it is probably pretty common not to make a big deal out of getting old. LOL

Funny how we made such a big deal out of a few candles and a present or two isn't it? Now, half hour after the celebration I scarcely give it a thought until next year.

Jeff

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

That's funny. I was just reading about how one of the most potent social powers young children have is to say, "you can't come to my birthday!"

• Open mind
    Open mind

Just celebrated my very first one not too long ago!

But yeah, along with AK-Jeff's thoughts, the WT stole the ones that I probably would have enjoyed more when I was a boy.

I find some value in birthdays even now though. The Watchtower loves to trot out Eccl. 7:1 as one of the "scriptural" reasons not to celebrate birthdays:

"A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one's being born."

The moral lesson this scripture teaches, IMO, is that any baby could end up being Adolf Hitler, so it's WAY more important how you USE your life than the fact that you merely POSSESS life. I think that's how most JWs also view this scripture.

But here's where the Watchtower misses the point. The DAY of your death is better than the DAY of your birth. But the verse is silent on the ANNIVERSARY of the day of your birth. The anniversary of the day of your birth is an excellent time to take stock of how you're living your life, be thankful for what you have and, possibly, decide to make changes for the better. But no, Watchtower throws all that out the window.

Thanks for the personally timely topic OTWO!

om

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Before my JW life, I was in the military. We were way behind schedule during a major restructuring of sorts and it was announced that Veterans Day was to be taken away from us as a holiday. "Veterans Day" ? The one holiday that specifically applied to anyone that had served in the military.

That's probably a smidge of what a child of JW's feels like on their birthday. Also, when cake is being served at school for someone else's birthday and they have to be "excused."

• The Finger
    The Finger

I didn't particularly mind not celebrating as i'd never known any different but i felt really stupid trying to explain to others why. It is such a pathetic reason. There was always the excuse that we give presents at anytime. Well I never knew of anyone giving presents when I was a child.

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

This just made me feel really sad.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Birthdays did not mean much to me before I became a JW, nor does it mean much to me after being a JW.

But I do enjoy having fun with my friends who have them.

• stillin
    stillin

one odd thing about not celebrating birthdays...The WTS made the point that it can make brats out of kids, EXPECTING gifts and making a big deal about THEMSELVES. I grew up with my family members all observing each others' birthdays and there are a lot more of THEM to remember and show love to than there are of ME. I mean, it's a lot more about GIVING than RECIEVING!

I feel guilty about turning such an innocent thing into a big-deal conscience matter.

• dinah
    dinah

I love birthdays. It makes you stop and think how happy you are that your friends were born.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit