W. busy 'restoring dignity to the White House'

by Seeker 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

Just a reminder to all those partisan politics folks that both Republicans and Democrats are dirty, lying thieves through and through. Conservatives enjoyed piling on Clinton and getting all frothy about how he dishonered the dignity of the White House. He certainly did do that. Then George W. promised to 'restore dignity to the White House' and instead of viewing this as a typical political lie to get elected, conservatives bought it hook, line, and sinker. (never mind his sordid past, he is a good man now, huh?)

Well, he lied to the American people directly when he gave his first speech about bin Laden before Congress. And now we have our first political scandal of the new presidency:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020110/bs/bush_enron_dc_4.html

As I said, politics as usual. W. is no better nor worse than the rest of them. Crooks the whole lot. Liberals, conservatives, Democrats, Republicans, whoever has bought into the system. W. is no different.

I remember during Reagan's two terms how one cabinent member after another wound up in criminal indictments. It became funny how many crooks he had working for him. Time will tell if W's boys will have the same sordid record.

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Seeker,

I couldn't agree with you more on this Enron thing. Looks like event this oh-so-tightly-controlled white house is really in for it.

I must say though, if I recall correctly there was a piece fo legislation floating around that would have possibly helped to put a stop to such practice but of course the Senate majority Republicans managed to table it just before Jeffords defected.

It is truly a pathetic state of affairs all around.

Regards,
    Julie

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello Folks,

I’d suggest waiting a bit till more information is gathered before drawing conclusions. The headlines of the left leaning press do not always tell an accurate story.

Broad brush condemnation reminds me too much of Watch Tower writers who could find little good to say about much of anything not related to its cause.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Seeker,

Thanks for the link. Here is in part what ABC News.com had to say:

"Enron CEO Kenneth Lay has been a friend of Bush and the Bush family for years. When Gov. Bush ran for president, Enron gave him access to a company jet. (The Bush campaign reimbursed the company roughly $25,000 for the flights.)

In April 2000, when Enron opened a new baseball stadium named for the firm, then-candidate Bush sat right in front of Lay in the Enron box.

Since 1999, Enron and its executives have given more than $2 million to the Bush campaign and other GOP causes. Democrats got about a quarter of that amount.

As Bush assumed the presidency, Enron had unusual access to the new administration's deliberations about energy policy and appointments to important posts. Lay served on the Bush transition team and helped interview candidates for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which oversees the gas pipelines and electricity grids that are key to Enron's business. Earlier this year, the commission's chairman, Curtis Hebert, who was being considered for reappointment by the White House, declared himself "offended" by Lay's lobbying efforts. Hebert later quit the panel.

When Vice President Dick Cheney drafted a new energy policy, he met with Lay and other Enron executives. Enron was reportedly the only company to be granted such a meeting.

Lay declined to be interviewed for this story.

Washington Posts
    Enron alumni also fill prominent slots in the Bush administration. The president's chief economic adviser, Larry Lindsey, and the top trade negotiator, Robert Zoellick, both served as advisers to the company. Secretary of the Army Thomas White was an Enron executive before joining the administration. When he assumed the Army post, White was forced to sell more than $25 million in Enron stock, according to a financial disclosure form he filed.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D.-Calif., has been pressing Cheney to detail his contacts with the troubled company.

"There is a very intimate connection between Enron and the Bush administration. How could they not have known what was happening?" Waxman said in an interview last week. "I think we need to find out what people in the administration knew, many of whom used to work for Enron. We ought to find out whether they ignored warning signs."

In the past, the White House has resisted requests for information about its dealings with the energy industry. The General Accounting Office, the investigative and auditing arm of Congress, threatened to sue Cheney earlier this year after he declined to turn over documents about his meetings with Enron and others interested in the energy policy he was developing. After the Sept. 11 attacks, GAO said the effort to get Cheney's records was no longer a priority.

Despite the administration's numerous ties to Enron, the White House has deflected questions about the company's failure. Reporters who asked White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer about Enron were referred to the Treasury Department.

However, Fleischer said last week that Congress has grounds to investigate how Enron fell so far so fast.

"It's very understandable why people in Congress… charged with oversight of any implications of Enron's bankruptcy would seek hearings," he said.

Copyright © 2002 ABCNEWS Internet Ventures.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The need for campaign reform is quite evident. No commercial interests should have this kind of power. Political campaigns should be funded by the states and the Federal Government, with free newspaper space and air time from the networks provided for the candidates.

Wasn't it Will Rogers who said, "We have the best government money can buy"! At times so true!

IW

• Julie
    Julie

Go to the top three stories listed on this page I link you to and learn more, if you are interested in what is *really* going on.

http://thenation.com/cgi-bin/htsearch

Of course if you would rather keep chanting your partisan mantra and ignore all the evidence from all the investigative work you are free to continue in your blissful state.

Regards,
    Julie

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Julie,

Was your post directed towards me, not sure. BTW, I tried the link it did not work.

IW

• Seeker
    Seeker
    The headlines of the left leaning press do not always tell an accurate story.

ROFL! I see propaganda works.

By the way, I didn't just read the headline. The story itself tells what's going on. The story behind the story should be fascinating.

• freeman
    freeman

Not a big political person myself, but so far all I see is much to do about nothing. What exactly was the wrongdoing that old W was involved in? (Your answer here).

Well I’m glad at least one of those spineless Republicans had the decency to call for a criminal investigation of Enron; who was that again? Oh yeah, I forgot old W ordered the Justice dept to investigate. Well I’m sure he did it just to look good, yep that’s it. He did a good thing but for bad motivates, yep, just like the apostates.

And don’t forget Enron gave lots of money to old W and other Republicans; never mind they also contributed to Democrats too, that don’t count cause they gave more to the Republicans. And because W owed Enron big time, W went ahead and bailed them out. Oh crap, I forgot he didn’t.

Oh I know! I know!

W is guilty of taking political contributions and then when his biggest contributor needed him most, needed a favor, he treated them just like anyone else. That bastard takes campaign contributions and doesn’t pay back a favor to one of his best contributors! You wouldn’t see old Bill do that; hell no. Old Bill knows the proper way to reward a contributor, he’d not only bail them out, he pardon him too. I miss old Bill; don’t you? But I guess we are stuck old W for a while; too bad but what can ya do?

Freeman

• Seeker
    Seeker

We'll see, freeman. Reagan's men didn't start getting hauled off into court until some time into his administration. Clinton's crooks were found out later as well. It's just a matter of time until we find out what else W. has done besides lying to the American people.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Freeman,

You and perhaps Julie may be mistaking political criticism for political partisanship. It is a mistake to do so.

Speaking for myself, I have no political party loyalties. I am an American, I am for what is good for this country regardless which party or individual provides it!

Bill Clinton dishonored the White House, in my view when the Republicans put the details of the debacle on the internet they dishonored the Presidency!

George Washington was not in favor of political parties, I believe he was right.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit