New Light on Fat people

by RR 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RR
    RR
    Glutton...fails to show love for Jehovah. Is food a big thing in his life? If in the presence of others, does he selfishly ignore their needs and take more than his fair share? Is he grossly overweight but shows no restraint over food, habitually gourging himself? Does he feel uncomfortable, perhaps even getting sick because of eating too much?...he has no place in the Congregation of Gods people...he will not inherit God's kingdom... Watchtower 1974 p.167
    At a meal the gluttonous person may make it impossible for other diners to eat to satisfaction. For this reason the glutton may even be dispised...he actually isolates himself from others...they may shun him...he may incurr God's displeasure and lose his life...In the near future God's kingdom through Jesus Christ will bring law dyfing Gluttons to an end...then persons will "hunger no more. Watchtower 1978 12/15 p.9

Consider also that the scriptures mention only one fat person.

Judges 3:17: Now Eg′lon was a very fat man.

Fat Eg'lon was not a servant of God. So we can deduce from this, that only pagans are fat, and just like only pagans celebrated birthdays in the Bible, fat people will not inherit God's Kingdom.

Makes sense to me, after all, how are you fat people going to squeeze through the narrow gate?

RR

• Mad Sweeney
  • shopaholic
    shopaholic

Isn't there a 20 year rule or something regarding what people should pay attention to in the literature? Anyway, its still a valid point. At one of my last pioneer meetings before leaving a few years ago, the CO mentioned that too many pioneers were overweight. That was the central theme of his talk.

• RR
    RR

You'd think with all that walking pioneers wouldn't be so fat. Must be those frequent stops to the dunkin donuts

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The rule about "light" is that it is current until superceded by "noo lite". If there's been nothing since published about gluttony, then those WT articles still stand.

• Broken Promises
  • shopaholic
    shopaholic

Thanks Mad Sweeney for the clarification. Now I'm thinking that all fat people should be given 9 months to get in shape or be DF'd...that would be frikkin' hilarious. Can you imagine the lawsuits? The GB would find some way to twist it.

But seriously, RR, great point!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It ain't fatness ....it is gluttony they are talking about . If your metabolic rate was such that you did not put on the pounds but were obsessed with food - you would be a glutton in their eyes.

I have never heard of anyone being carpeted for it, though

• peaches
    peaches

oink oink oink........burp.......oink oink oink.....puke......oink oink oink.....

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Well, they'd sure have a lot fewer big butts in the seats, and the way things are going, they can't afford that. 60% of our adult population in the USA is overweight, according to all those health official type people.

You'd think with a 50 billion dollar diet industry, we'd all be a bunch of walking skeletons. *G* Someone is getting really rich off of the fat of the land. And it's not me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit