The effect of this religion on my children & the action I had to take - Part III

by jambon1 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• jambon1
    jambon1

Here is parts I & II

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/191112/1/The-effect-of-this-religion-on-my-children-the-action-I-had-to-take-Part-I

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/191251/1/The-effect-of-this-religion-on-my-children-the-action-I-had-to-take-Part-II

It was about 2 or 3 days before I brought up the subject to my wife. I done so in a calm & reasonable manner. I was still very upset both with myself (for allowing this to happen), with my wife for defending the JW's in the past & also with the religion for not having the decency or common sense to realise that teaching children & infants adult information is destructive & morally wrong.

The conversation with my wife: I started off by stating that I had had concerns for a long time about the effect of JW teachings on my kids minds. I mentioned how I had brought up the matter in the past & how it had nearly always ended in an argument with my wife defending the corner of the JW's, saying that she didn't feel there was a problem. Well now, I said, there was a problem & I told her in great detail the conversation that I had had with my daughter. I told her how upset she was. I explained clearly that it was my opinion that my previous concerns were based on something & it was not just a case of 'me having a dig at the religion.' I explained that she should take this issue seriously & that I was on the verge of writing to the WTS.

Well, my wifes reaction was at first reasonable. I had asked her the question whether or not she found this acceptable, for our daughter to be thinking like this & being so upset about it. She said 'no.' I went on in the conversation to list some of the 'subject matters' under discussion at the kingdom hall (fornication, adultery, oral sex, satan, destruction of the wicked etc, etc). Again I asked her whether or not this was acceptable. She was torn. I could tell she wanted to agree with me that it was wrong but her defense mechanism was beginning to kick in very quickly at this point. This is when the conversation changed.

Just a point before I proceed; Having had a few days to try & work out how this conversation was going to go, it dawned on me that my wife could turn the blame on me. After all, I was the one that had left the truth! If I hadn't done that then my daughter wouldn't have to think along the lines of me being destroyed. Before I chatted to my wife I dismissed that she would use this train of thought. I was so convinced that she would be affected by what had happened & that she would regret exposing our daughter to something which deep down she knew was wrong.

Well, it turned out that this was where the blame lay. It was my fault. Having earlier agreed with me, my wife quickly turned within a few moments. She indeed said that 'if you hadn't left the truth then our daughter wouldn't be thinking along these lines.' As my wife uttered those words my heart just sank in my stomach. I began to feel sick. I couldn't believe that my wife was so determined to defend that organisation that even the fragility of our daughters mental state wasn't enough for her to seriously & honestly question that religion. I felt helpless. Sad, angry, upset, frustrated & utterly dejected.

Where do we go from here?

I couldn't really continue the conversation. It was beginning to get very out of control. For the next couple of days I was stunned into silence. I found it difficult to function. The realisation that ths religion could do just about anything & get away with it without any blame whatsoever was eating away at me.

Then, a slight turning point. My wife had had to trust that what I was telling her was actually true. That my daughter had said all those things that were twisting her mind & upsetting her so much. Then a couple of days later, she heard it straight from the horses mouth. Having seen that my wife & I were not talking for a day or so, my wee girl was trying to smooth things over (breaks my heart). After a brief conversation with my wife one morning my daughter came into the room & was cuddling me. I was crying. She turned to me & said "don't worry daddy, you'll not be on your own outside the paradise, you'll have your mum & dad with you." My wife sat up & looked stunned. Here was or daughter so determined to believe that nothing bad would happen to her daddy that she was actually beginning to alter their beliefs to make herself feel better about her dad being 'killed by god.' Now bear in mind, that was a rather tepid expression from my daughter when you take into account the content of what she had said a few days previously when she was hysterical. Yet it was enough to make my wife sit up & take notice. She was stunned. I just walked out of the room. Devastated again.

Ten minutes later I walked back into our room. My wife said 'Jambon, I won't take the kids to the meetings.' I asked her some more questions & she agreed that our kids thinking & talking like that was not right. I went on to ask her whether or not it raised other questions in her mind about the general rightness of the religion. My wife replied (while upset) that at the moment 'she couldn't go there.' I left it at that, seeing that she was probobly extreemly upset & that she was really fighting a losing battle over whether or not the religion has a bad effect on the kids minds. At that point I realised that my wife probobly has some 'silent issues' with the organisation herself. I'm not pushing that matter though. Neither am I hopeful that one day she will leave it all behind. My wife will have to do what is right for her & come to her own conclusions as we all have had to do.

So for the past few months my kids have been free from the insidious drip feeding of an organisation that does nothing to recognise its part in screwing up peoples minds. Maybe they don't realise that that is what they are doing. Maybe they do realise but just don't care. For my part, I can go on living now with a clear mind that I eventually did everything I could to save my kids form this disease. Goodness knows what would have been the sum total of my daughters mind after another 3 or 4 years of the religion. I don't have to worry now. My daugter seems carefree at the moment. We talk a lot & I tell her my views & beliefs which are rather more open minded that that of the JW's. Whether or not my wife still speaks to her about the truth is up to her. Having seen the fruitage of such, I am convinced that she will be considerate of what she talks about.

I love my wife. We were childhood sweethearts & she is a loving wife & a great mother. The religion has blinded her to any harm that they may have been causing. I can deal with that most of the time although it does frustrate me. But our marriage is strong despite the obvious differances in viepoint. I suspect that my wife respects me greatly even though the religion would rubbish my lifestyle & choices. She is a conflicted person. But she is a lovely, warm woman who cares about people. She will have to decide in years to come whether or not all the conflict in her mind is worthwhile. All I can do is continue to be a good husband & father.

Another interesting development is the way I have been treated by my old JW friends. My wife chose to tell the elders & a few of our close friends about her no longer taking the kids to the meeting. I believe that they know the reasons why. Since then, I have had little or no contact from them. Bearing in mind that I am not disfellowshipped & had previously had an 'open door' policy to anyone who still wanted to be in contact, I find this remarkable. Up until last September I still had a lot of contact with a few JW's. Now, they have obviously seen my stand as 'open opposition' or whatever they want to term it. I've been blackballed for good now. Some probobly wanted to do it before. Now they have their excuse. They're pathetic.

Rather than be concerned about what the religion has done to my kids or how I may be feeling about what is a rather serious situation, they just prefer to 'cut ties.' To the one or two that still want my friendship then fair enough. To those that see some reason to shun me I say 'shame on every one of you.' Thankfully, I have lots of truly loving friends & family around me. I don't look back at the witnesses with anything but pity mixed with a slight tinge of bitterness.

So after telling this story I feel somewhat like I have carried out a service to others. Why? Because if even one father/mother is moved to take action & protect their kids from the information that this religion so carelessly puts into the minds of our young then I say have done a good thing.

Please never, ever underestimate the effect that their teachings have on the mind of your children. If you suspect that your kids might be suffering then don't hold back just for 'peace sake.' Take action & protect your little ones. Once time passes, it's too late. The damage will be done. You can see by reading my 3 threads that many, many others have suffered in the same way as kids. It's not right. It's criminal. And it needs to be stopped.

Best,

J

• Heaven
    Heaven

Out of the mouth of babes. Jambon1, your wife IS definitely conflicted. She has seen the effects first-hand on her baby. I hope one day she, too, can stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

For me, personally, when my parents would get upset about me not making it into 'paradise' or having eternal life, I would calmly and kindly, with a smile on my face and giving them a hug, say to them:

"You don't have to worry. Jehovah can read hearts."

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Certainly a happier ending than I thought was coming up after reading Part II.

Thank you for posting.

• deep-blue-sea
    deep-blue-sea

Good conclusion for your kids. You have been a father really alert, I wish I would have done the same....years ago. But, at that time, when my children were young, and still all of us in the org, nothing happened to shake our life in order to wake up to the subtle teachings of this organization.

Hope that your wife will realize soon, how bad are the methods of this organization!

Regards, Claudia

• Quandry
    Quandry

She is a conflicted person. But she is a lovely, warm woman who cares about people

I can imagine that she is conflicted. Think of how the elders and others at the KHall must be "counseling" her to bring the children, and the looks she gets when she enters alone.She is bucking one of the biggest rules about "bringing up your children in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah."

Please take this lovely woman out for dinner, and tell her how extraordinary she is. Then take your family somewhere special for a couple of days.

So far you are united, but you know the turmoil and pull she is receiving. Do not let the WTS take your family.

By the way, you sound like an extraordinary person, yourself!!

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

Thank you so much for posting this. I have enjoyed reading all parts but this final part was very moving.

I am pleased for you and your family. I am amazed that your wife agreed so easily to allow your children to stop attending; she is a real gem. As others have said, I think that she is probably in turmoil herself. This conflict is probably one of the main reasons that she has had the courage to face down the JWs with regard to not bringing her children up "in the truth."

All the best to you and your family. I hope that your wife will resolve her own inner conflict soon and leave the Watch Tower behind.

This thread has made my day. As soon as I saw that part III was up I made a nice cup of tea before sitting down and reading it. It did not disappoint.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well done you ..you've used patience and wisdom and you sound like a great husband and father.

Loz x

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Please never, ever underestimate the effect that their teachings have on the mind of your children. If you suspect that your kids might be suffering then don't hold back just for 'peace sake.' Take action & protect your little ones.

Good advice. Most of the experts I have read have suggested that it's okay for them to go to the KH sometimes, otherwise it might seem like a secret withheld from them. But the people here on the board that have such situations generally urge debriefing and exposure to regular kidstuff like birthdays and holidays.

She indeed said that 'if you hadn't left the truth then our daughter wouldn't be thinking along these lines.' As my wife uttered those words my heart just sank in my stomach. I began to feel sick. I couldn't believe that my wife was so determined to defend that organisation that even the fragility of our daughters mental state wasn't enough for her to seriously & honestly question that religion. I felt helpless. Sad, angry, upset, frustrated & utterly dejected.

My wife has recently been concerned about her biological clock and knows it is getting near to her last chance to have children. We have had discussions. As long as I think she will fall back on arguments such as the above, I have had to let it be known that we won't be having children.

Thanks for sharing your tough story and warning for others.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Dear Jambon1, I've just read the three parts. I'm SO happy about the unexpected outcome! Good for your children, especially your delightful daughter who triggered everything with her charming innocence, good for you for speaking up when you became aware of the danger, and good for your reasonable wife! Also, congratulations for your respectful attitude towards her right to take her own stand.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I wish you the best of luck, Jambon. I hope it lasts and your wife begins sliding away from the borg rather than falling right back in. Leaving the borg is like climbing out of a steep pit; sometimes one climbs a few yards and slips back several feet, sometimes one seems to slide all the way back to the bottom, but your wife has your daughter's words implanted in her brain now. She may "forget" them later for a time but they'll still be there. There is ALWAYS hope. There can always be new beginnings. Hang in there, bro.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit