Do you atheists resent the believers on here and do you believers resent the atheists?

by Lozhasleft 39 Replies latest jw friends

• cry
    cry

Personally I am happy for anyone who finds religion makes their life complete. My sister has M.S, very disabled, very catholic, but she takes such comfort from reading the bible daily. I am happy that she is a happy and that she can make some sense of her situation. I do not believe her 'take' on things, but I am so happy for her. End of. I will not argue with her over it - I will argue with many others - but not her. It's like she is having a placebo drug that is doing her good - I wouldn't ever tell her that she is getting the placebo, because I love her so much, and I don't have anything better to offer her. "Life is shit and then you die", just wouldn't to it!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

" I used to resent atheists."

Me, too -- when I was a witness.

Now, I'm supremely happy to declare -- "I-don't-know..." (about the god thingy) because, I am agnostic. Show me some proof 'one-way-or-the-other' and I'll change.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Deciding whether God exists - and what "God" is - is perhaps the most personal inquiry anyone can make.

It's my hope that if someone finds God, they find it on their terms - and not adopt someone else's version of God.

It's my hope that if God speaks to them, they realize he speaks only to them - and isn't telling them how to make others live their life.

Everything else: it's my hope it leads you to a celebration of life - with God or without.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Do you get angry or frustrated at the opposing view?

Not at all. I welcome opposing views.

I've seen different reactions to both on here...

It is a discussion forum. I tell you this- many people need to learn not to be sensitive when they set themselves up for discussion. If a believer or non-believer strongly states their thoughts in a forum that doesn't really call for such thoughts, they will be bombarded with thoughts. If they start out with a thread about their beliefs or scoffing at other beliefs, they will be bombarded with thoughts.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I decided to be a Universalist which gives me the right to love and be exasperated both with people who believe or don't believe in spiritual concepts. LOL

But, I get along very well with atheists as long as they don't insult my New Age freaky deaky thing too much. Sadly, I believe in some quite silly things like astrology, chi and esp and empathic healing and all kinds of stuff that has some vague science to it,(chi, for instance is measurable by scientific instruments, but no one can really prove that one learn to can manipulate it ) but is probably pretty much crap as far as ever proving it by strict scientific method.

But, I like believing it, and believing that it's useful. I totally acknowledge that I'm probably a little tiny bit crazy.

The psychological term is "idiosyncratic". I score high in that trait on psychological tests. There's a lot of mental illness including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder in my family, so I'm just glad I'm not even crazier than I am.

I'm a bit neurotic, but not psychotic, thankfully.

The subjective nature of all spritual experiences cannot be tested scientifically. That's just the state of things at the moment. I can't test the validity of what another perceives with their individual senses, brain chemistry and psychological makeup in that way. You can generally tell if someone is mentally ill in an organic fashion or suffering from various disorders, but so far, only the totalitarian governments have decided that spiritual experiences and belief in higher powers are a form of mental illness and can be cured by "therapy".

Hey, we used to believe that homosexuality was a mental disorder that could be treated until we developed more enlightened views based on actual science, the science of genetics and of human behavior tells us it is a normal variation of human sexuality.

So, I'm sort of leary of condemning something that might be simply outside of my own experience, that is apparently not harmful and actually even helpful or pleasurable to some people.

Belief in and of itself isn't detrimental to anyone, although religions can be if they misuse their power over people, but you could say the same thing about any large authoritarian based social construct.

• sabastious
    sabastious

This is complex subject really. There seems to be a fine line between Religious Freedom and Religious Oppression.

Some think they are just exercising religious freedom while others feel that they are using a form of religious oppression.

So, how does one know the difference?

I don't think we know that answer fully yet.

-Sab

• RHodge6685
    RHodge6685

As a JW I always had to be the one who was "right", so I am very relieved that now I don't have to insist on being right anymore! I now believe what feels comfortable for me, which I would describe as agnostic. I feel there is something more out there, but that organized religion is not the answer. I believe there is no way to absolutely know the answers to what happens after death, until we die.

But I think everyone has a right to believe or not believe in a god, and what they choose to believe doesn't cause me to react in anger. I certainly don't think I have all the answers. But I have learned after my 16-year JW experience that people should always question things, and always be willing to study the opposite viewpoint (as expressed by the people who believe that opposite view). And I believe that people should not force their own beliefs on others.

• Dnice
    Dnice

I have never resented atheist's and they have never really bothered me but I can say they have at times frustrated me. I remember back in the days when I would meet one at the door and we would respectfully go back in forth with our reason's for believing and not believing, I just couldn't understand why they didn't see what I seen, it was frustrating in that way. I am sure though, that the feeling was mutual But I am good with it, I don't hate or discriminate, as was said on this thread over and over again, TO EACH IT'S OWN! or something like that!

D.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I allow for both. At first, I was solidly in the atheist corner on arguements, and you can still tell I side with them in all matters relating to logic and proof. However, I know and see the value that belief in god and higher powers brings, and I don't ignore that. Nor do I think it should be my life's work to intrude in such matters, as long as theists don't intrude in my life and my decisions, lifestyles, and beliefs. (or lack therof)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Resentment is for the kingdom hall and its attendees :-) Here i just enjoy the people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit