Do you atheists resent the believers on here and do you believers resent the atheists?

by Lozhasleft 39 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Do you atheists resent the believers on here and do you believers resent the atheists?

I'll be honest. I used to resent atheists. I don't anymore. Be easy on me. I am only three years out of the Tower.

In fact, I embrace them now as my brothers and sisters. We all live in a world of uncertainty, and are doing our best to make sense of it. They are my fellow strugglers.

This doesn't mean that I won't discuss these issues with them, but disagreement doesn't mean resentment. I've never learned much from a man I agreed with.

BTS

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I think both groups are full of sexy people. I love 'em all. I guess you can count me on the atheist side.

• Gayle
    Gayle

We should just respect any one who has left JWs. We all have learned a lot just in that process. Everyone's beliefs system is their path. Arguing ( or "pushing") beliefs gets no where. Arguments are lost by both sides.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Knowledge is key. Belief systems are taught and take a leap of faith.

Both sides need to live and let live.

We grow as we grow as we get older.

Me I know that I really don't know, nor can I prove or disprove either side of the issues when it comes to belief or unbelief.

So, I take it one day at a time. Death will reveal the unanswerable questions that we all ask, or it will not.

Is there a God? Is there life after death? Each one of us answers those questions based on our culture, education, what we read and believe, and what we experience in our lives as we live it.

We also can change our minds and belief systems as we grow and experience other things as we age.

Blueblades ( Agnostic )

• yknot
    yknot

Of course not......

Why would anyone of either opinion hold any resentment.

People disagree everyday and are still friends.

Group thought is what most of us left behind, we appreciate the freedom of thought.....

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Like Blondie said, it would be stupid to leave such an elitist organization just to become another elitist.

I agree, wholeheartedly, on some other ex sites the mood is often very strong against ones who still believe there's a god, and I dont really get that at all...

Loz x

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm sure some do but hopefully most of realize that when we were witnesses we thought we had all the answers and couldn't have been more wrong so why would anyone want to fall into the same trap again.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

They are my fellow strugglers...well said BTS

• chickpea
    chickpea

live and let die

that's all i am sayin'

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I agree with BTS. Atheists used to bother me.

I have learned much talking to believers but non-believers have also stretched me to look into what I truly believe. I may one day read Richard Dawkins. It doesn't threaten me. If my faith could be destroyed by someone else's opinion then my faith couldn't be that strong.

The thing I dislike most are highly opinionated people on both sides and the lack of respect. As a Christian I do still have a problem with someone stating that as Christians we don't want to see or hear the truth. ( la-la-la-la-la) There can be an arrogance and ignorance on both sides.

All I can really do is tell my story, my experiences, but I can't force anyone to believe what I believe.

I have no knowledge of someone else's journey; what they have gone through in their lives. I think the Watchtower has so hurt and even destroyed some, that it's very difficult to have any faith in a higher being. The Watchtower has portrayed a very different god than the God I believe in. Scripture has been so twisted that He isn't even recognizable anymore.

This may not sit well with some, but I fear that some people that were once led down the wrong path through the Watchtower may be led down another wrong path. Just be open to the possibility. God may surprise you one day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit