Injured Bat

by lisavegas420 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Okay, you have brought back a troubling memory. I am driving down a street and see something in the road that seems to be moving. As I got closer I see that it is a small kitten who's entire backend, legs and all, have been smashed flat. The kitten is still alive and is trying to get up and is mewling pitifully. Should I have simply ran over it's head and put it out of it's misery? Or, swerve around it and go on? Or, pull over and scrape it off the road which would inflict and prolong even more pain and rush to a vet with the obviously hopeless creature?

• White Dove
    White Dove

St. George,

I'm pretty sure there are very good and less painful drugs for rabies these days. Used to be, you'd get an extremely painful series of shots through the stomach, or something like that. Now you get a series of painful ones in the tush.

Gregor,

I sent a squirrel spinning in the freeway as I hit it at 55 mph. I went back to make sure it was dead by hitting it again with my car. It was a necessary evil. I had to do that to an o'possum that ran under my tires, too. Had to go back and make sure it was out of its misery. Wrecked my whole day but the little creatures were not suffering any more. My dad taught me that for mercy's sake. I agree.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Lisa, your local county animal control will come and pick up animals like this. Like you, when ever I see an injured animal it stays with me for days.

I once had a female long haired calico cat show up in my backyard. She was old, starving and had no teeth. So I fed her some wet food and then started working on her coat. It took me 5 hours with a razor blade to cut away the mats of hair literally so twisted her skin was raw from it. She purred and purred while I worked away. I went through 10 razor blades. Under each huge mat were colonies of fleas. I was crying my eyes out as I worked. After each chunk was released she went into a frenzy of itching, and then would come back for more.

My neighbor is a vet tech, so I called her over to give me the prognosis. She said it was obvious she was almost blind from Diabetes and she needed to be put down. The only comfort I had was that her last day on earth, someone had cared about her, but that was for a tame animal not a wild one.

Gregor....now I can't get your story out of my mind. All we can do is our best. No one should feel bad about not knowing what to do or who to call.

r.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

Are we beating a dead horse, I mean bat here.... LOL...

As far as animal Control.. Someone dumped a sick puppy on my porch a few months ago. I called animal control...was told they called back 3 days later. Told them I already handled the situaiton.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Bats are kewl. It's always startling when one flies right past your head in the moonlight, though.

BTS

• man in black
    man in black

Five years ago i was working in downtown Chicago and there was a big crowd on the sidewalk one day. It seems that a bat had flown into the building and was fluttering around on the ground, nobody knew what to do.

I went upstairs, got a small box, punched some holes in it and shoveled the bat into it, then I taped it shut and brought it home.

When I got home I called the animal control for the county, they came and picked it up, but later I heard that they usually put bats that are "found" to sleep.

My lesson after this ?

leave it alone/call animal control, or if it looks like it will end up dying, humanely help it along .

• recovering
    recovering

I'm pretty sure there are very good and less painful drugs for rabies these days. Used to be, you'd get an extremely painful series of shots through the stomach, or something like that. Now you get a series of painful ones in the tush.

I just wanted to address this misconception. Rabies is a viral infection. There is no known cure for rabies . The series of shots you get imediately after being bitten are a vaccine given to prevent you from contracting rabies. it is very important to get this vaccine as soon as possible after potential exposure. The disease of rabies is almost always fatal. The shots are no longer given in the abdomen. I have included the reference below. Treatments and drugs

By Mayo Clinic staff

There is no specific treatment for rabies infection. Though a small number of people have survived rabies, the disease is usually fatal.

Rabies shots include:

• A fast-acting shot to prevent the virus from infecting you. This injection is given near the area where the animal bit you as soon as possible after the bite.
    • A series of rabies vaccines to help your body learn to identify and fight the rabies virus. Rabies vaccines are given as injections in your arm. You receive six injections over 28 days.
  • restrangled
    restrangled

I guess it depends where you live. Here in Florida there are enough issues with wild animals that animal control is usually out with in an hour or two. We also have many legitimate wild life rescue locals, that will take in hurt animals and nurse them back to health and release.

I have taken a baby owl found on my porch to the Wild bird sanctuary. They actually raised it and called me when they were going to release in the forest near my home. Of course I was there to see that event.

I have turned in baby opossums, and squirrels. Tried my hand at a baby bird, he was eating like a pig for days, and actually knew when I was coming and would start flapping and chirping to be fed. The only trouble was I left him in a little basket above the ground. Somebody got him in the middle of the night.

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

A human has to be bitten to actually be infected by rabies.

Here is an excellent website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/rabies1.shtml

• recovering
    recovering

By Mayo Clinic staff

Rabies infection is caused by the rabies virus. The virus is spread through the saliva of infected animals. Infected animals can spread the virus by biting another animal or person. In rare cases, rabies can be spread when infected saliva gets into an open wound or the mucous membranes, such as the mouth or eyes. This could occur if an infected animal were to lick an open cut on your skin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit