Injured Bat

by lisavegas420 40 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The problem with injured wildlife, at least where I live, is that the animal shelters don't deal with it. You have to call a wildlife expert and pay for it yourself.

• Heaven
    Heaven

That sounds a little selfish to me. Let and animal writhe in excrutiating pain because of my "feelings"... hmmmm.

In this story, lisa did not describe an animal 'writhing in pain' so you have altered the parameters.

The other thing is this.... if you do not have a means of killing an animal immediately and quickly, then you will be causing it further trauma as well as yourself by beating it to death. If the first blow doesn't do the job, you now have to keep it up until the job is done.

This leaves a lasting negative scar on you that you will have to live with for the rest of your life.

This is what I am saying. Please do not try to read anymore into it than what I have stated. It is a choice you need to make at the time. I expressed my personal choice based on the information presented by Lisa and my own experience.

Personally, I like to save an animal if it has a chance at survival instead of immediately condemning it to death because it is injured.

• Heaven
    Heaven

You have to call a wildlife expert and pay for it yourself.

My choice would be to pay for it. Or pay for the euthanasia if required. I have done this in the past as well after my cat attacked a baby bunny.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Call the professionals/animal shelter or whatever you have in the US. Never touch a bat without proper gloves due to the Rabies problem.

Here in the UK a girl picked up a bat that had fallen from the rafters during a church service and it bit her. It was a Pipistrelle, less than 2 inches long. She caught Rabies and although she survived she had to be put into a coma for weeks to allow her body to recover; there is no treatment or drugs for Rabies.

George

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

How do you not know the animal was in pain... Bats don't scream and cuss do they? Injured bat can't move just waiting to be picked off by a cat. It was sick or injured to be down. Finish it off and move on. That's life.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I had a similar experience with a very young chick that had either been kicked out or fallen out its nest (or had the cat got it? - I don't remember). It hardly had any feathers on it. Anyway, I knew it had no chance of survival but was hoping either a cat would give it a quick end or its little heart would rapidly putter out with the stress. Neither happened.

I put it in the hedgerow a few times where I thought it would be safer, and even attempted to feed it worms. It wasn't interested. After a few hours, it was so weak it lay down in the dirt. It still didn't hurry up and die. I didn't want to kill it, but it was awful seeing the poor thing suffer.

It got to the point where flies were landing on its still breathing body in anticipation of their next meal but it was evident by its twitches they were bothering it. I couldn't stand it any longer, got a spade, wacked it and put it out of its misery, then buried it. It was the first time I had done something like that. Not nice, but necessary. I kinda wish I'd have had the courage to do it sooner for the doomed animal.

(Oh and I love bats. The judgment call for me would have been to either call animal welfare or end its suffering.)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

MountianMan Rule..# 27

Never touch a Bat..EVER!!..

They are carriers of rabies..Call an animal shelter..Call the police..Call somebody..

In the Wilderness something would have eaten it..Problem solved..

Until you came upon the Bear that ate it,with Rabies..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Batman will be pissed you let his cousin die!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

You have already decided you will do things differently if something like this passes your way again. Yet, you are still troubled.

The answer to the immediate and lingering issue is to have a little ritual (funeral) for the bat. It can be as simple or as complicated as you need, but do something or say something to send its teensy soul in peace... mostly to console your own.

Love,
    Baba.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

When I went to work one day a bat was on the front of the bank's window. Just hanging on the window. We called the police and they called rabies control. They said unless a bat was sick you would not see them in the daytime usually. They took the bat and a few weeks later we were notified that the bat did indeed have rabies and we were asked if anyone had touched him. Thankfully none of us did as he was too high on the window, and who would want to.

Be alert when finding a sick bat, like in our case it could have rabies. Call animal patrol like Blondie said! Nothing sentimental about rescuing a sick bat unless you want to take a chance on endangering your life . Common sense tells you to stay away and call the authorities, do it ! DO NOT try to dispose of it yourself!

Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit