For born ins- what tipped you off it was wrong

by teela(2) 54 Replies latest jw friends

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

At a young age I remember watching TV and commenting why is the Red Cross always helping people and we don't. The second big one is If the witnesses only started up in 1890 - 1900 did Jehovah not have anyone else doing the preaching work?. As a child I don't think we think about theological problems so what tipped you off??

• Heaven
    Heaven

Subjugation of women.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Lots of little things that were put to the back of mind. I think my subconscious eventually told me conscious to wake the f*ck up.

Somethings specifically: -

Hypocrisy of the Elders

Lack of love

The fact that the GC were not mediated by Jesus

The change in blood policy

An ever decreasing belief in the spirit realm

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Heaven, that's not really a good falsifier as these things go.

It could very well have been the case that there was a god who created the world as reflected by JW's.

A falsifier would not be an emotional reaction to something one didn't like.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

No one asked for "a falsifier." Wrong can mean false but it can also be the opposite of right.

Like many born-ins, my shelf got filled slowly over the course of decades.

As a kid, I saw a relative tossed aside as a Bible study because he couldn't quit smoking at the rate his conductor wanted him to.

Also as a kid, I saw many people leave the borg because of the false promises of 1975.

Later, as an adult, I saw the tax-dodge change to the donation work lyingly described from the platform as a loving arrangement from Jehovah so that poor people could get the literature.

Shortly thereafter, I saw them change the meaning of "generation" again.

Then they decided to change the stand on blood into the confused unscientific mess it is today.

Then I was told I was overly proud for questioning elders about their incomprehensible decisions because they are "stars" in Jesus' right hand.

Somewhere in all that was the change from the literal heart as the seat of motivation to a figurative one, the allowance of organ transplants rather than disfellowshipping for it, and a few college courses that included some basic psychology and sociology.

I knew enough elders my entire life to never believe they had any direction or direct appointment by Holy Spirit. I never bought into the infallibility of the channel, though I used to believe God used the borg in a way he only understood.

I'm honestly not sure what the last straw is/was, or that it matters. The entire pile of crap has crashed to the ground.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I don't think it was one thing for me. Lots of things that added up.

Lack of love. Coldness. Fear of each other.

My friends at school were much nicer, better people than any of the kids my age at the Kingdom Hall

I started getting the idea around the age of 13 that I needed to find a husband. A good JW husband. I was really drinking the Kool-Aid at that time. Over the next 2 years I woke up. I knew I didn't want that life. I wanted no part. I wanted to get a college education and get a good job and be able to support myself. I was definitely influenced by my school friends, teachers, reading Animal Farm in the 9th grade, and the non-JW side of my family(grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins). I am eternally grateful for those outside influences. They gave me the courage to revolt and leave.

• 70-Years-Of-Servatude
    70-Years-Of-Servatude

A few years ago when we still had the bookstudy in a small group at the K.H. a man that stood about 6ft. 6in. weighing about 350lbs. walked in to the hall. Upon noticing him I got up and walked to the back and directed him to the foyer so that we could talk (really I wanted to get him far enough away from my wife and kids just in case he was up to no good). He was dressed in ripped up clothing, was smelly, and dirty. I asked if I could help him. He said that he could use a donation from our "church" so that he could get some clean clothes and a hotel room. I told him that our organization did not have a program to care for those in need. As the words were coming out of my mouth I felt sheepish. He said that he had received money from many other churches over the years when he asked. I apologized to him and said that I would ask those in attendence at the study if anyone could help, as it was just ending. I went into the main hall to let my wife know where I had been. When I went back to the foyer the conductor was telling this man that this was no a charity organization and that he would not be given any money and that he would have to leave. I hadn't even had a chance to ask anyone about money yet when I walked up on this conversation. I asked another couple if they could take my wife and kids home, they said yes. So I told this man to go to my car and I would take him to get something to eat buy some clothes and get a hotel for two nights, but that was all I could afford. The conductor started to object. I told him to mind his own business, Jesus would do it too. As we were leaving a single brother jumped in the car and said he wated to split the cost with me. We bought two pants shirt combo,fed him, and put him up. The conversations with the big man, the single brother, my wife, and the coductor will have to wait for another time.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Heaven, that's not really a good falsifier as these things go.

I disagree. Subjugation of anyone is abusive, regardless of whether it is in a Holy Book or a religious organization. And abuse is wrong.

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Hipocrisy, lack of compassion/love

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was a Kid..

Sitting in hard chair,in a Kingdom Hall all dressed up,on a hot Sunny Day..

Looking out the window,listening to kids play..

None of it seemed right.

Not the boreing speaker..Not all the Adults who pretended to be interested..

Not the sorry ass songs..

It was all Pretense and I could see it..

............................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit