My mom's love for me is based on well I am doing 'spiritually'---

by QuestioningEverything 19 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

I hear ya, Questioning. Everything depends on how "theocratic" you are. This is the main part of the religion that just screams "CULT!"

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

That's sad. I hope that my mother's love is not conditional. I never would have thought that she may treat me differently based on my religious beliefs, but recently she did say that I was talking like one of the "evil slave class," oh well.

jada

• cantleave
    cantleave

Spawn, indeed she is, absolutely no offence taken.........Hasn't rubbed off on me though .

• minimus
    minimus

I have to say my mother loves me in spite of our differences. She HOPES that I'll return. I NEVER say I wouldn't because she's almost 84 and I don't feel it's necessary to be dogmatic with her. I have told her of MANY objections that I have with "The Truth" and she still loves her boy.

Sadly, not everyone feels like my mom.....I sympathize with your husband.

• BigJimmyN
    BigJimmyN

My mom and sisters are constantly giving me crap about NOT going to meetings.. texting me all of the time.. emailing me scriptures.. I always tell her I am not interested but she just doesn't seem to get it. Oh well.. I am finally happy in my life since leaving the Borg, I struggled with it for MANY years but finally learned "the REAL truth" and now I can say that I am happy..

Hang in there..

• zoiks
    zoiks

Questioning,

Your devotion to your husband and your feelings about his treatment at his mother's hands do mean a great deal. Personally, I have no idea where I'd be if it weren't for my wife's unconditional love and support, especially in the face of emotional abuse at the hands of family.

With your support and love, I'm sure he will be fine

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I'm really sorry about your husband's mother. I'm glad he's got you.

• Cinnamon (TOO)
    Cinnamon (TOO)

QE,

I understand can empathize with your husband. It might be helpful to remind him of the love he has for your kids. He may not be able to change how his mother feels but he can stop the cycle of conditional love by showing them the kind of love of love they need. HTH

• oldflame
    oldflame

I never had a relationship with my grandmother on my mothers side. Her theory was if you were not JW you were not worth having a relationship with. When I began to study the religion in 1997 she began to build a relationship but then when I decided that they were cult and I was not going to have anything to do with it she cut me off. I neveer really got to know my grandmother, I would of like to of had a reltionship with her but it was her choice. I hope God had mercy on her soul when she died.

• Dark Lord of the Evil Slave Class
    Dark Lord of the Evil Slave Class

Isn't all JW's love for each other like this? That's been my experience, it seems. They're nice and cordial and but guarded if you're not in service regularly or miss meetings. It makes going to meetings hard, ironically enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit