My first experience at a Christian church--for what it's worth

by bluecanary 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• Krettnawe
    Krettnawe

I saw the presentation as matter of fact, or as a footnote down at the bottom.

Just mentioning the word doesnt make it graphic. If they go into descriptions then I would understand your concern, but just mentioning it, especially in the timeframe we are in now, is not innappropriate. I am a teacher and you would be astonished what sort of conversation goes on between 11 year olds!

I would much rather have them educated in a religious setting rather than by thier peers. Too many times people are so uptight about things they make it more appealing when good ol teenage rebelliousness hits.

I have always thought the best approach is to be honest and straightforward about any topic. I have read through most of the articles on this subject matter and dont find anything highly offensive.

Perhaps you can provide a sample of what you found offensive?

That being said, every JW is supposed to prepare for the WT article ahead of time, so they always have the option of missing that meeting if they think it is not appropriate.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Somehow this thread had 2 days of activity that escaped my notice.

Are JW's so interested in outward appearances that they are missing an ingredient of intimacy that is needed to forge real relationships amongst the unwashed masses that is mankind?

That's a really good observation, Krettnawe. Thanks for bringing that up. In fact, I think I still have the desire to do this. I want to present myself as having it all together, when the truth is, I have a lot of ups and downs. I don't think JWs are the only people guilty of this, but their culture does promote it specifically.

White Dove, they did that at the UU church. I liked that, too.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Perhaps you can provide a sample of what you found offensive?

No it was so long ago, I don't have it. I found it graphic given the setting. I still do not understand why in a religious setting we had to have a discussion about various kinds of sex. In the family, yes, parents should educate their children about sex as they see fit. And I do believe it is the parents job to talk to their own children about these matters, certainly not the congregation's. I felt that it was generally well known what constitutes sex, and that in terms of the scriptures and the JW rules, sex is totally immoral for persons who are unmarried- I don't understand the need for detail. I do not understand the "Christian Congregation's" perceived need to dictate to married persons the various sexual acts they can and cannot do. There is no sense of boundaries in this org. Also, I would like to know the scriptural basis for the belief that certain sexual acts are unchristian, and the belief that the GB has the right to assert itself as the judge of what is proper in the "marital bed." I did end up just getting up and going to the rest room when a couple of elders disagreed w/each other at length during the WT study about whether oral sex is ok. Maybe I just have a dirty mind, but the brother who was so fervently for oral sex was putting some bad images in my mind, he and his wife are very unattractive, ok? I could have done w/out that.

I will admit, I was born in, I have never been a member of a church, do mainstream churches have sermons about sex for the entire congregation? What exactly is discussed?

And as far as skipping a meeting you considered inappropriate or not pertinent to you, that will go over really well w/the busybodies who want to know where you were last Sunday!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Thanks for your post serenitynow!

I will agree that the Society's view of making sexual matters a topic for congregational discussion is not at the root of the pedophile problem.

If specific types of sex are being discussed with children present then quite obviously the pedophiles will be more than happy.

Personally I want my kids to ask questions such as "where do babies come from?" (when the time is right), not "what is oral and anal sex?" (because the WT want to discuss it).

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit