My first experience at a Christian church--for what it's worth

by bluecanary 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I am an atheist/pseudo-Buddhist. I am dating an Advent Christian (very similar to Baptist). I went to church with him for the first time yesterday. I was pleased that he wanted me there because it's nice to be included in things that are meaningful to him. My only other church experience was at a Universalist Unitarian service. I found the two to be very similar. Doctrine is the only substantial difference.

We arrived a few minutes late and the first thing that struck me was the way the minister was directly interacting with the audience. In discussing a few matters about the church and congregation he spoke directly to and about particular members. Everyone was laughing at some humor I didn't pick up on. I can't say I've never seen that in a KH, but it was exceedingly rare.

The minister used peoples first names or even nicknames; Bob, Jimbo. The JWs call each other brother or sister. This fools the person into feeling like part of a family while effectively removing their individuality. Specific individuals who were going through hardships were mentioned and we were asked to pray for them or offer aid.

The most obvious difference was the format. The audience sang hymns (that were very similar in tone to the kingdom melodies). In addition we listened to a song from the choir and two performances from individual women. One performance was to a more modern song with a pop rock sound.

Four prayers were said, throughout. My boyfriend had his arm around me the entire time. Before one prayer, the minister asked people to hold hands with their loved ones. I looked around and saw not just husbands and wives but parents and children, siblings and friends holding hands. Quite a contrast from the JWs who have been counseled against such displays of affection.

The padded pews were comfortable and allowed for sitting closely with family. The church was decorated in a very simple and dignified manner. Nothing like the hideous décor that KHs are designed with. There were Bibles and hymnals available at all the seats. I don't think anyone would mind if someone just sat and read from the Bible throughout the service. There was no need to feel left out or go to a special service counter to get the materials needed for the service. There was no need to purchase materials (through donation or otherwise) and lug them back and forth from your home.

The sermon was much more brief than the sessions the JWs have but it puts the lie to the claim that the churches are all entertainment and no teaching. I am in college and the teachers do not teach anything like the JW style. They lecture for an hour at most. Much of it involves student interaction and group work. Students must be interested and actively engaged in order to learn. The droning repetition of the JWs serves only to hypnotize and indoctrinate.

The sermon was about "the cross." This is apparently their term for Jesus sacrificial death. He talked about how the disciples didn't want to accept that Jesus needed to do this. That they, like people today, had an attitude of, "no I'd rather you not have to do that. Don't go to all that trouble; I'll take care of it myself." The point was that this attitude was unnecessary because Jesus had taken care of it (whatever it is) so there is nothing we need to do in order to earn salvation. The JWs pay lip service to this, but are quick to point out the many, many things you need to do in order to earn that salvation. It's all academic to me, since I believe the Bible to be a work of fiction, but interesting nonetheless.

The minister spoke from the Bible and invited others to follow along or read it in their own time. A few outside publications were quoted from but there was no book or magazine that was held remotely as prominent as the Bible.

A collections plate was passed around. I had the same experience at the UU church and I came to the conclusion then that passing the plate was more loving than having the box at the back of the KH. Most people put in a couple of dollars. About $2 per person. If I go to church every weekend, I'll end up paying $8-10 per month. At my poorest, I never put less than $20 a month in the KH. I knew others, also financially strapped, who put in much more. When you know everyone else is putting their $2 in you don't feel guilted into putting in more. There may be some churches out there that guilt their members into giving more but this is hardly the case at all, or I would guess even most churches.

The people were friendly. This is not my BF's usual church (he lives out of town) and several people welcomed us and asked us to return. Everyone was dressed casually but dignified. They do their own church maintenance like the JWs.

All in all it was a pleasant enough experience. I am happy to support my wonderful BF in his beliefs. And it really shows the JWs to be slanderous liars about other religions.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Liars indeed... Or shall I say, they stretch the truth about churches and generalize. I've been to enough churches to know some of the differences of each of the church's practices. Most churches pass the plate around and make it clear that visitors are not required to make an offering. A few churches do beg for money, and beg, and beg, and beg. Fortunately, I have only encountered one church that was like that back in my youth.

Black churches are lively. Watch a Tyler Perry film and you will get an idea. However, more and more churches today are becoming more and more lively in a different sort of way. The church I go to plays loud christian music, others play the older hymns, some have different services with comtemporary gospel and old hymns. Personally, I prefer contemporary gospel myself but some of the old hymns are still pretty nice.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I'd love to go to a black church! Maybe I can convince my BF to try one next time.

• garyneal
    garyneal

The one thing I like about most churches that never sat well with me regarding the KH is that when I told most people in most churches that I attended that I was a Christian and call XYZ church my home, they were warm and welcoming me as a brother.

For years, I was told by the witnesses that my religion was false and that I was not a true christian. I was even beginning to internalize this and was beginning to think that they were right. Imagine my surprise when I found out different. I guess I could not help but to judge them the same way they've judged me.

Perhaps, maybe one day, the Jehovah's Witnesses and mainstream Christianity will come together in unity learning the best that they know from each other. Hey, one can only hope.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My first church service was an equally pleasant experience. I had photographed a wedding inside the church ,and knew a few of the members so it wasn't a total shock ,but still made me a bit nervous to actually attend a service . It was a Methodist church and they were nothing like JW's would have you believe . Pretty much the same experience you described . At least it was not the cold ,white toast type program I was accustomed to at the KH,and I saw nothing wrong with passing the collection plate .

• garyneal
    garyneal

I think my favorite type of church tends to be the church that seems populated with people who seem a lot like those of the Jesus people movement.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Contemporary service with a lively black minister, while wearing my comfy jeans

Went to a service in Chicago that had a coffee shop in the foyer and the Minister wore jeans and tatts .....that one didn't impress me though . felt like they were trying too hard .

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

BlueCanary- I think that is awesome. I call what the witnesses to do us as "spiritual poisioning". They rather see us flounder and die spiritually than move on. It's like an abusive spouse that says go ahead and leave no one else wants you. I got to a great non-denom church and we see our selves as part of a larger body of christ that includes all believers even if we have minor doctrinal differences. This is actually biblical, it advises against being quarellsome and divisive. The best advice I was given was by a friend that said to visit 20 churches if I must. It's always a great experience to find a place where you fit the best.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

An interesting post. Although not a believer, I have been to a number or Christian churches. I still go with friends to the harvest festival and Christenings, to be sociable. The church still plays a roll socially and a lot is done for children. I know they have an agenda to gather the children unto them, but even so they help to create a community and a social network.

I have been to most parts of Italy and visited many churches. Listening to a choir singing can be moving and uplifting. It is impossible to appreciate the history of a marvelous city like Venice, without exploring the churches. I know they have a gruesome past but I focus on the present and watch as they adapt to a modern world. Naturally I avoid scaring the flock by dressing as a gladiator in church.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Naturally, I avoid scaring the flock by dressing as a gladiator in church.

ROFL.

There is something downright scary and unholy about you.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit