My first experience at a Christian church--for what it's worth

by bluecanary 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    There is something downright scary and unholy about you.

It's worse than you think, Sylvia.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I hope you never come to Alabama, then.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have gone to churchs and synagouges and Mosques and I have always felt welcome and always felt the deep devotion of the people there.

I am sure that there are some "bad" churchs and I recall one where the priest was full of holier that thou Zeal, but on a whole I think that most people will get a positive expereince.

• superpunk
    superpunk

I like going to church's for special services.

But I feel, if you were to commit to just one, eventually you'd see the same stuff you saw with the JWs. When people first visit the Kingdom Hall there are all sorts of things that impress them, and make them feel good, despite your focusing on all the negative. Same thing happens in churches....love bombing gives way to complacency and boredom once you're an established member.

One of my wife's friends talks with us about religion and her church some - her mom gets into it with other members because she's more of a rice christian - and she doesn't appreciate them judging her when she shows up at Christmas and Easter, lol. It is what it is, it's really all the same.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I agree with superpunk that every church will have their "special" issues. The big difference I have noticed between JW's and Christian churches is that the Christian pastors are the first to admit that they are fallible and that it isn't the church they should follow, but rather follow Jesus. With the JW's it is always the followers that are the problem and that "Mother" is always right. When "Mother" appears wrong, it is actually your problem for misunderstanding or running ahead of "Mother".

I prefer the casual atmosphere at most churches...it is far more welcoming to new ones. Let's face it, I doubt the disciples of Jesus worried about wearing the proper robe or whether their beard was perfectly trimmed before joining in worship. One can always argue doctrine, but JW's also like to brand the churches and their followers as something they aren't.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I would have to agree with you guys and there is a reason for that imperfection in churches.

They are a hospital for the sick ( spiritual) not a museum for Saints.

You will find imperfect, idiotic and down right assholes in a church, simple because those are the people that need God the most.

The problem is when those people FORGET they are assholes and become sanctimonius assholes.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen, PSac.

Matthew 9:10 -11 Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew's house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus' followers. "What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?"

12 -13 Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders." MSG

Hosea 6:6 I'm after love that lasts, not more religion. MSG

Sylvia

• Chalam
    Chalam

Great post BC!

Blessings,

Stephen

• JeffT
    JeffT

The big thing I've noticed at almost all churches is the availability of child care during the service. The kids get to go some place with age appropriate learning activities, toys for the real young ones, arts and crafts for those a bit older, and loud music for the teenagers. It makes going to church a lot better for all concerned.

It is also very interesting to hear the senior pastor say "Now, this is just my opinion, I don't want y'all running out of here saying 'Pastor Bob' says xyz."

• Chalam
    Chalam

The big thing I've noticed at almost all churches is the availability of child care during the service.

Agreed. There is something fundamentally wrong with discussing adult themes such as sex with young children present.

It is no surprise that there is a significant problem with pedophiles in the kingdom halls.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit