Are the elders appointed by Jehovah?

by asilentone 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sir82
    sir82
    I was in constant conflict that no one wanted to discuss CHARACTER traits

That's cuz "character traits" aren't mentioned in the Bible and more significantly, in the WT literature.

Character traits not required to be appointed as an elder:

Honesty

Intelligence

Compassion

Humility

Altruism

Generosity

Kindness

Come to think of it, these are most often impediments to being a "successful" elder.

Here are the only determining factors in elder appointments, in order of importance:

1) Field service average

2) Field service average for wife if married

3) Kids not getting into too much trouble, progressing as appropriate for age (unbaptized pub. by 12 or 13, baptized no later than 15 or 16)

4) Being "visible" in congregation (answering at meetings, volunteering to clean, volunteering at assemblies)

5) Gets along well with elders - does what is told, has a "yesssuh, massuh, suh" attitude toward whatever icky assignment is given

6) If the elders meeting isn't running too long, after discussing all of the above, some nerdy goody-2-shoes newly-appointed elder might mention something about the Biblical qualifications. The old hands might indulge him while secretly rolling their eyes.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome rich5678!

Blessings,

Stephen

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

SIR 82,

Character traits not required to be appointed as an elder:

Honesty, Intelligence, Compassion, Humility, Altruism, Generosity, Kindness. Come to think of it, these are most often impediments to being a "successful" elder.

You mentioned so much truth in such a short sentence. If those characteristics were present in at least 50% of the “elders”, then the argument would’ve been in favor of sort of “divine” appointment.

I whish could disclose what I’m dealing with right now with the BOE…but put it this way, collectively…these men have no respect for the bible, are full of pride, some are cowards, others have no concern whatsoever for the well been of others…those that try to be a little bit “good” are stepped on, humiliated and get morally bankrupt, to say the least.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Yes they are! What are you talking about. He listens to ALL the prayers around the world and when some other elders suggest him to appoint other men he does. HE LISTENS to the suggestions of the other elders because he appointed them after all.

Sometimes I wonder why does he need other elders to suggest more elders. perhaps he is too busy listening to prayers of the other people so he has his little helpers. I wonder if they can read minds too.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Actually, one of the reason I left the Watchtower was an unpleasant experiences with one missionary JW and later, an elder followed by more elders and MS. Well, I was amazed by the way they treated me. They are the worst hateful group of people, sometimes more worse than worldly people they constantly ostracise. If they supposedly had the guidance of GHS, one would see a different picture.

Scott77

• dozy
    dozy

I think it is obvious that no holy spirit is involved - many JWs (privately) would acknowledge this to be the case. A vote is taken of the BOE and a simple majority is all that is required. I remember a completely unsuitable ministerial servant being very narrowly voted in after several failed attempts , mainly at the behest of a very demanding circuit overseer and presiding overseer who were able to win over a couple of the weaker elders. The brother was a complete disaster , was never given any assignments and eventually was removed.

My own experience is that most elders are reasonably sincere men , most of whom have come up through the ranks , and genuinely believe they are serving God. There are some self-righteous idiots , but I guess you would get them in any religion or walk of life.

• inbetween
    inbetween

no, no holy spirit directly involved, the only argument would be the qualifications in the bible...

have to say, in our congo, the BOE is pretty much ok, most really care for the brothers, of course following BORG-rules without questioning, but thats really not their fault, but I have been in ohter congos too, were the BOE were horrible, powerdriven, or completely desinterested in any real shperding...

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

no they are just as sinfull as anyone and just because they think they have Jehovah's backing doesn't mean they do!!! there power is in there head and the congregation verifies it!!

• nykid
    nykid

Is this even a serious question?

• asilentone
    asilentone

no, it is a semi serious question, I just want to make people think after reading the comments on this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit