Are the elders appointed by Jehovah?

by asilentone 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• man in black
    man in black

jesus H. Christ,,, of course not.

• bobld
    bobld

You bet your last dollar they are.How else can you have a rich elder with a big house,fancy car,go on vacation three times a year.Look you in the eye and tell you to simpify(sell your house live in a windowless basement suite) and go peddle WT/A mags.

B

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Why don't you telephone London Bethel and ask them direct on 020 8906 2211.

I did http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/142388/1/I-phoned-London-Bethel-re-Michael-Porter-sex-offender

The representative said ''we do not believe any divine inspiration is involved'' in the appointing of elders.

But as 'jwfacts' has already pointed out, this is not what they have printed and not what most Witnesses believe.

Telephone and ask.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

No, some other asshole.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Jehovah has been AWOL, sulking in the corner of a mountain, ever since Moses broke his entire library.

The elder flowers appoint each other. It's a male member only, back scratching club.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello AST,

Of course a greater question might be "Is the WT appointed by Jehovah"?

Another thing to consider, who is "Jehovah" that is head of the WT?

In the same way as the Jesus the WT preach is bogus, so also is the Father they claim to know.

Anyhow, have a read about what the bible says about elders and you decide if those "elders" at the "kingdom halls" reflect it.

1 Timothy 3 (New International Version)

1 Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?) 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7 He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap. Verse 7 is interesting :)

Titus 1:6-9 (New International Version)

6 An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Verse 9 here precludes any JW from being an elder as the WT gospel is not trustworthy and neither sound doctrine. Blessings, Stephen

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Asilentone,

No, I never believed they were and this is just a myth they propagate in order to get the gullible people to look up to them. Maybe they felt this was necessary because they weren't getting enough 'respect'. Gotta scare those sheeple into submission! What better way than to claim "hey, we're appointed by holy spirit". Riiight.... I want to know just how god and the holy spirit communicated their thoughts to them! I better not hold my breath waiting for an answer to this question. Ha.

Bobld,

I know just what you mean about rich types who tell OTHER people to 'simplify their lives'. Meanwhile, the poverty they are preaching is not for them - just some other sucker!!! I always loved this hypocrisy. In some cases though, I think there is an agenda. There are brothers with businesses who are looking for destitute JWs to work for them for sub-standard wages. I guess they feel that by preaching 'poverty' and not getting an education they will have a bigger pool of poor gullible JWs to choose from. They don't want a 'worldly' person who knows their rights and will insist on proper treatment. With a poor uneducated JW they will have the perfect employee who will tolerate anything.

• rich5678
    rich5678

I don't believe that garbage myself...in my congregation, almost all men wants to be elders for that boost in their lives...some women probably wish they can become elders too lol j/k

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There is nothing like seeing it from the inside of a Body of Elders to make you realise that the claim is pure propaganda

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

If it is, the Holy Spirit didn't decide to get involved until 1972. Then it made Bethel Elders.....then it didn't.

Its sad. As someone that was heavily involved in appointments....I was in constant conflict that no one wanted to discuss CHARACTER traits.....but rather, how many service hours the guy had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit