10 good reasons why celebrating birthdays should be allowed

by bluecanary 90 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Libelle
    Libelle

"to actually have God hand make you would be a blessing and an honor!!! "

Yeah, um no. I'm very glad that we're all made the proper way, gestated in our mothers... now if only it was common to be born into our father's (that is human father's) hands, then the world would be a better place.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I've spent all my life not celebrating B-days and I'm not going to be bothered with it now. I just don't give a shit. If you feel you must, all power to ya! Happy birthday to whoever's birthday it is today...

V665

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

BTTT

• nugget
    nugget

The prohibition on Birthdays serves several purposes.

1 to restrict worldly association

2To make witnesses seperate from those around them

3To provide a talking point about the religion

Probably many more. To address the witness issue that birthdays make people think too much of themselves, if you consider it rationally you only get 1 birthday a year where you are the centre of attention but you have many opportunities to show generosity to others on their birthdays. It says in Acts that there is more happiness in giving than receiving but the scripture doesn't suggest you never receive, merely that generosity is a joy. It is important to learn to give with no expectation of receiving birthdays are a chance to learn this important lesson.

I once did a talk on Birthdays setting a school teacher asking to celebrate my sons forthcoming birthday in circle time. I went through the examples and then got the householder to say. That is all very interesting but I wasn't planning to sacrifice anyone during circle time. I think I may have been exiting mentally at that stage but no one noticed.

• tia.dalma
    tia.dalma

Totally agree. Celerating birthdays should not be an issue to condamn other, each should be free to do as she/he pleases in this matter.

I think the same about toasting at a party/ gathering. For me toasting is a gesture of friendship, of wishing the best to somebody, I don't think anybody theese days thinks of a spirit that might be in the glass and that goes away when you click the glasses, or of who might know fake god from the pagan religions - as the WT explain why a JW should not take part to a toast.

If we are not allowed to keep birthdays and take part at a toast, we should also not wear wedding rings. Wedding rings have much more pagan origins than birthdayparties and toasts.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

bookmarked

• losingit
    losingit

thank you for this list on the reasons why celebrating birthdays should be allowed. i just reviewed this with my oldest, who still refuses to celebrate. I so badly want to have a big delicious sweet gooey birthday cake with pretty candles and other decorations. I want to have her gaggle of friends from school over at our house to celebrate the life of my precious little girl. I have some more months to work with her. In the meantime, I will print the list and review the scriptures mentioned in the list periodically. Let's cross our fingers that she will turn around on her position!

• DS211
    DS211

Someone might have mentioned this but. Witnesses have baby showers....thatsbasically a bday...

• DS211
    DS211

The hebrew word yowm is the same word used in job for his kids "days" AND pharoahs bday...th wtbs kindly changeJob t fit negatively to bday hatredd.

• DS211
    DS211

Wel nvm theres another word added "yalad" for pharoahs birthday. I stand corrected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit