10 good reasons why celebrating birthdays should be allowed

by bluecanary 90 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah the only thing pagan about cereal is the name (from the goddess Ceres), but the Society doesn't object to other words like our month names and day names (or even the word "God" itself which has a "pagan" origin in ancient Germanic sacrificial cults). Other than that, grain offerings don't count since they were practiced in the Bible (Leviticus 2:1-16, 6:14-18, 7:9-10, 10:12-13), and it's quite a stretch to make a connection between that and the eating specifically of breakfast cereal (which wasn't invented per se until the 19th century, particularly among Adventists, of all people). Otherwise we have porridges as a traditional food in Europe, but how many other foods we eat arose outside of the Holy Land? So maybe not the best example.

Otherwise an excellent spelling out of the bogusness of the anti-birthday rule (also I might quibble a bit about Job).

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was raised Catholic, so of course celebrated birthdays. It was a big event with the FAMILY. Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, cousins would all celebrate. It was a time to get things that marked us getting one year older, a year more mature to get things to carry us through our growing years. We felt very special that day, getting a little cardboard crown painted gold to wear on our heads! We dressed up and felt very loved. We reached a milestone and it was fantastic. We became a teen, we became old enough to drive. We learned how to give when it's was another persons special day. Through that we learned how to be thoughtful of others. Picking out just the right gifts, being creative.

I did that with my kids until becoming a JW, it all stopped. It took years for party invitations to stop and then finally birthday cards to stop coming in the mail. I still secretly loved it when someone went against my wishes and gave me something. Happy Birthday Purps. or at my place of work when there was a cake for me and my co-workers were happy to think of me.

Now my kids are young adults. They did not grow up with the wonderful teachings I did as a child. It's not a huge family tradition, we are working on it.

Some things I learned though from not celebrating is, that when there was no money for presents, we learned it was not that we did not love each other or think that we weren't special. We could give gifts all throughout the year, not just on a holiday.

What was lost though was a family tradition that are in my fondest memories growing up, that I did not pass on and now I miss that terribly. People that I loved and cared about thought I did not any longer. Now that I do recognize birthdays, I have to explain the change which is awkward. I know my loved ones think it's nice but I also know there are years of hurt that come to mind when I did not. It tore a family apart so needlessly.

purps

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Thanks for the info...will be using it in the future!

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Oh I love this. Birthdays was one of the points I brought up to some elders who visited me.

The point I made was that when Jesus rocked up on earth he condemned the way the Scribes and Pharisees took the biblical writings and twisted it into rules that were never written. If he turned up again, take a guess at the religion he would point the finger for excessive rule making this time round.

John the Baptist's head on a platter!

• garyneal
    garyneal

Marking.

This is good stuff. I swear, I don't know why Jehovah's Witnesses get so bent out of shape over something this simple.

• nugget
    nugget

We've just had our first family birthday and it was fabulous. I've brought a smile to my daughters face and it was great. In the cult we forget that sometimes it is nice to let someone know they are special to us.

• sweet
    sweet

never have i seen anything about studying with the witnesses did i see that we cant eat breakfast cereal if someone can point to me the watchtower magazine that is in please do so...that's something i seriously want to see jws banning people from eating breakfast cereal?? i can understand if it has to do with lucky charms...lol...but completely not eating breakfast cereal of anykind???

hmmm...ok the celebrating of the birthdays...honestly people are doing paganism things with the birthdays...putting candles on the cake and making a wish...that has to do with "magic"...and i'm sure we all know through the studying of the bible and such...not only do the jws know that holidays are pagan but....other people do i mean if we do our research on how holidays got their origins and such jws are not teaching anything new to anybody when it comes to holidays if people do research on the holidays...the birthdays are celebrating the god of that day the child was born..and to top that off birthdays are like self-centered type thing...conceited if you will.

to the poster who wrote about celebrating their mom on her birthday...appreciating her...on "her" day...seriously??? you wait 364 days to tell your mom you appreciate her?? for jws they are taught to give gifts all year around....whenever they felt like it...why feel special on only a few days out of the year?? when people are suppose to show their appreciation to people in their lives everyday?? that's what i love about the jws that they have respect for people in showing they care not on just a few "special days" out of the whole year...but they teach people to show appreciation to others all year round...the jws don't celebrate birthdays because of 2 bad incidents in the bible..they explain in more full depth of why they don't in one case it's celebrating of other gods in which Jehovah as we all know is a jealous god and no other god is to be before him.

sure a lot of stuff is celebrated with not the pagan origins in mind...but why sugarcoat stuff? oh the easterbunny is for the kiddos...when in actuality the easter bunny and the egg has to do with different gods/goddesses??? its like the poison in the drink...oh the drink looks refreshing...hey it even tastes good but when that drink is finished...the person is 6 foot under....DEAD!!!

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    honestly people are doing paganism things with the birthdays.

So what? Wedding veils were worn by pagans to keep the bride from affecting the groom or his family with the "evil eye." Most of the wedding customs we use in the west today are from pagan customs. If the Watchtower isn't going to get in a stink over that why should birthdays be different? The true religion can't use a double standard.

and to top that off birthdays are like self-centered type thing...conceited if you will.

You think so? Because I think birthdays are an opportunity to show our appreciation to those we love. Maybe you're just a more conceited person than I am. Are married couples being conceited when they throw parties to celebrate their anniversary? Does it mean they only appreciate each other once a year?

to the poster who wrote about celebrating their mom on her birthday...appreciating her...on "her" day...seriously??? you wait 364 days to tell your mom you appreciate her??

You're saying that if we celebrate a person on one day, it means we don't appreciate them on other days. Do you see the failure in that logic? Gift-giving/parties are one way, not the only way, we show our appreciation. It's ok to to ramp it up a notch every now and then.

for jws they are taught to give gifts all year around....whenever they felt like it.

Do you know any JWs who do that? I didn't. We always claimed we could give gifts whenever we felt like but neither my family nor any of the families I knew in multiple congregations did this.

why feel special on only a few days out of the year??

This is another fallacy. People don't feel special only on the occasion that they are receiving gifts. They feel special because they know they have family and friends that care about them enough to put time and effort into celebrating them. This feeling permeates throughout all non-gift-giving times as well.

the jws don't celebrate birthdays because of 2 bad incidents in the bible..

Did you even read my post? The JW religion is FULL of poison. You are straining out the gnat and gulping down the camel.

• ufo1
    ufo1

Sweet, are you sure you want to hold to this position? If you want to agree with the JW's on the point that if something has in any way a connection with even a slight pagan origen then you and the JW's have a lot to answer for. Just re-read the thread and reasearch what every one has said about things the JWs allow that have pagan connections, and see if you are being consistant or dare I say honest.

And as for celebrating a birthday really worshiping a false god, that is pure rubish. To worship a god, false or otherwise is a deliberate act, you can not worship by accident. If you believe the JW's to be correct and want to support them that is ok, and most here will respect that, however please be honest with yourself and hold the JW's and yourself to the same standard which you hold everyone else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit