The Pagan Christ

by poopsiecakes 127 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

-You said...Yahweh came from El according to your source, so your unbiased source would seem to disagree with this. I have no dispute with the claim that Yahweh is El. Yahweh is just the name that was given to Moses, according to the bible, and depending on who you believe wrote the first few books of the bible. But Yahweh didn't come into existence at the point where he gave a name to Moses.

-I'm taking the information on Noah from the bible. Noah. Flood. Three sons - Ham, Shem and Japheth... and from Ham came Canaan and the caananite clans. Genesis Chapter 10. If there are archaeological things contradicting this, then I don't know them, but I will research it.

-But you claim these books prove Jesus exists (or are you NOT claiming that?). How can you claim they prove something and then claim to not know these source? Of course, if you are not claiming that and we are using Jesus in the mythical tradition, then it doesn't matter.

Pretty sure I said that it proves it to me, and that I am not an expert and would need to research this more to make any kind of authoritative statement.

• tec
    tec

Not bowing out here, but I have to get ready for work. Thanks for challenging me to research this OT stuff, notverylikely. I am enjoying the additional things I am learning that shed some understanding on the old ways of many Israelites... though as I said it is just an interest of mine and not more important than following Christ.

Tec

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I have no dispute with the claim that Yahweh is El. Yahweh is just the name that was given to Moses, according to the bible, and depending on who you believe wrote the first few books of the bible. But Yahweh didn't come into existence at the point where he gave a name to Moses.

El is a Caananite god that pre-dates Yahweh in both the written and archealogical record. El's is also Baal's father. Therefore, according to your source and your agreement that El is Yahweh, Jesus is Baal's little brother. Jesus has some things similar to Baal (you DID say we should look for similarities in things) and some things different, just like any family.

-I'm taking the information on Noah from the bible. Noah. Flood. Three sons - Ham, Shem and Japheth... and from Ham came Canaan and the caananite clans. Genesis Chapter 10. If there are archaeological things contradicting this, then I don't know them, but I will research it.

The achealogical record does contradict the flood and young eath ideas completely. Wikipedia is a good place to start.

I am enjoying the additional things I am learning that shed some understanding on the old ways of many Israelites... though as I said it is just an interest of mine and not more important than following Christ.

Cool, I am glad you are enjoying you. You have also challeneged me. I DID learn a lot about Mithra that I had only casually read and just in the past day or so found out were untrue.

So, as for the OT stuff, in the Christianity tradition, you can't get to Jesus without starting at Yahweh. If Yahweh was an older Caananite god, then Jesus is the interpolation of a bunch of older Caananite traditions.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

don't dismiss the whole thread just because you have some problem with my attitude.

I didn't, just you for being jerky.

No problem with you rejecting me. Now how about responding sensibly to the academic research I posted, if you are serious about this subject.

• tec
    tec

I just wanted to quickly clear up a few things that I seemed to have been agreeing with concerning El, Yahweh and the baals. I am not in any position to try and start an entire new debate on these particular things. These are only a few of my personal thoughts on the new things that we read and briefly discussed.

El is a Caananite god that pre-dates Yahweh in both the written and archealogical record.

The source didn't say that El pre-dates Yahweh. The source says that he is thought to correspond to Yahweh. But men were calling on God even before the account of Noah. Therefore, God, the creator of the universe, would predate any Caananite tribes or form of worship... no matter what name is applied to him. If this were not true, then who spoke to Noah, who pre-dates the Caananite tribes? (Encyclopedia Mythica also concurs that the Cannanites descended from one of Noah's sons)

But even if there are any similarities, it stands to reason that the Caananite tribes would have been taking from the knowledge that had come from Noah's time and earlier since they are Noah's descendants. Did they warp it and fall away from the true worship of their Creator? Yes; by way of the Baals, and so explains Elijah and the many prophets of the OT who tried to bring this worship and its atrocious child/human sacrifices to a halt.

As for the account of the flood, archaeological studies would disprove a world flood, but there is geological evidence indicating a major flood in the middle east. But it does nothing to debate this point unless a major discovery comes to prove it. But even this does not negate the claim that the Caananites descended from Noah.

I don't believe in a young earth, btw. Science has proven otherwise. But this in no way conflicts with a existence of a Creator. How could we possibly prove without any doubt how much time passed from when the planet was formed to when man first walked upon it?

El's is also Baal's father. Therefore, according to your source and your agreement that El is Yahweh, Jesus is Baal's little brother. Jesus has some things similar to Baal (you DID say we should look for similarities in things) and some things different, just like any family.

I apologize. I was hasty in agreeing to that El is Yahweh. There is so much conflicting evidence to go through, I can't say anything one way or another at this time. Except to emphasize what I said above: that our God, the Father of Jesus, is the creator of the universe... no matter the name people may or may not have given to Him.

As for Jesus being Baal's little brother, Jesus of Nazareth was a man who was also the Christ - who's spirit was with God in the beginning, and through whom and by whom all things were created. (I use the NIV (Thompson chain reference edition) when I make references to the bible.) If the spirit of Christ was with God in the beginning, then there is nothing to say that Jesus is emulating 'big brother', or that Satan would have existed before him at all. Satan is a fallen angel. Jesus is not called an angel... except in the JW teachings that suggest he is the archangel Michael.

But most importantly, at least to me, Jesus gives all credit of his teachings to his Father in heaven. And it is through this Father that we get to Jesus... beginning with the creator and moving down to Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and finally Moses and the Jews. Jesus also emphasizes that it is those 'who do the will of his Father in heaven' who are his mother, brother, and sister. Making this union more important than any possible familial relations.

It is yet my third night of staying up to 3am to post on this thread. I can't keep up this pace, even in the friendliest of debates/discussions, especially since my intent was just to deal with the Christ-myth things. So I will bow out, though I look forward to discussing things such as these with you again in the future.

And thank you for saying that I also challenged you. I hope you have more of an understanding of why I do not trust the research or claims made by Christ-mythers. Hopefully, I have also learned to keep the emotion -negative or positive- in my debate from detracting from the message I am trying to get across.

While we may still disagree on things, and this is not a bad thing, I believe that the best thing that can come from a debate is that both parties learned something that helped them to grow personally.

Best to you,

Tammy

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

No problem with you rejecting me. Now how about responding sensibly to the academic research I posted, if you are serious about this subject.

I wasn't in your other thread. Post in this thread without being jerky and I will be happy to do so.

The source didn't say that El pre-dates Yahweh. The source says that he is thought to correspond to Yahweh. But men were calling on God even before the account of Noah. Therefore, God, the creator of the universe, would predate any Caananite tribes or form of worship... no matter what name is applied to him. If this were not true, then who spoke to Noah, who pre-dates the Caananite tribes? (Encyclopedia Mythica also concurs that the Cannanites descended from one of Noah's sons)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_%28deity%29

According to The Oxford Companion To World Mythology (David Leeming, Oxford University Press, 2005, page 118), "It seems almost certain that the God of the Jews evolved gradually from the Canaanite El, who was in all likelihood the 'God of Abraham'...If El was the high god of Abraham - Elohim, the prototype of Yahveh - Asherah was his wife, and there are archeological indications that she was perceived as such before she was in effect 'divorced' in the context of emerging Judaism of the seventh century B.C.E. (See 2 Kings 23:15)"

Moving on...

But even if there are any similarities, it stands to reason that the Caananite tribes would have been taking from the knowledge that had come from Noah's time and earlier since they are Noah's descendants.

That's presuming the bible is accurate in that info. DNA, geological, archealogical info all suggested the Noah narrative in the bible is NOT true. I will not quote your later comments for brevity, but you comments on Jesus being in spirit with god, etc., all convery a presumption of truth in the bible. This is what I mean when I say YOU have prove the bible is true, you are using them as the underpinnings of all of your assumptions. In a debate, you have to agree what both sides will presume are true.

This moves the debate back to the bible, effectively. To continue, we not have to debate the veracity it to move forward.

But this in no way conflicts with a existence of a Creator. How could we possibly prove without any doubt how much time passed from when the planet was formed to when man first walked upon it?

Various methods of dating, mitochondrial DNA, various fossils. There is no way to know exactly years, but we can measure in thousands, millions, billions.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

You're being a totally patronising jerky. I havn't been jerky in this thread at all.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    Notverylikely: Oh, and I totally forgot Luke, who even opens up saying everything he wrote was hearsay...

Hearsay in biblical context - which when translated means; God speaks through me.

Yadda yadda, I am enjoying the combat here. Jerky is a good move in this situation. Are you going to use that thing on your shoulder or is it notverylikely.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm coming to this thread really late and I haven't read much of the discussion that has been going on lately, but just to add some general points:

• Most of what is in Zeitgeist or in Tony Bushby's books is total hogwash. And much of what is in Archaya S's books and most others in the "Jesus myth" genre is unreliable and unscholarly. The best arguments in favor of the "Jesus myth" hypothesis are made by Robert Price and Earl Doherty, who do engage with current scholarship and who avoid the bogus "evidence" and outdated sources that characterize the other works.
    • The NT narratives of Jesus are strongly colored by OT exegetical interpretation, to the extent that reuse of OT and haggadaic material is (partly) determinative of the structure and content of the narrative (such as in the Matthean nativity narrative or in the transfiguration story). Those making a "myther" argument would better look at native Jewish models rather than strained parallels to Horus, Dionysius, Mithras, etc. There is also a native Canaanite/Israelite mythic cycle involving El and Baal with some very broad parallels (which was possibly an influence via ch. 7 of Daniel). BTW, while I recognize that much in gospel narratives is unhistorical and that Paul approaches "Christ" primarily (but not only) as a supra-human figure in the content of a salvation theology, I also am personally persuaded that a historical Jesus did possibly exist.
    • The Horus myth was influential in local Egyptian conceptions of Mary and Jesus (and later, Saint George), although there is a possibility that it is an influence in the Matthean nativity narrative (which has an Egyptian setting at least in part and which is strongly influenced by traditions pertaining to Moses in Egypt). This possibility is suggested by general narrative parallels between the Matthean story and the birth of the Messiah related in Revelation 12 and the link between Revelation 12 and the Horus-Isis/Apollo-Leto myths on the one hand and the 13 Kingdoms portion of the Apocalypse of Adam on the other (which explicitly comments on various "incorrect" savior myths by the other nations), which probably dates to the late first century AD.
    • The most important "pagan" influence for early Christianity, rather, was Persian Zoroastrianism, which played a critical role in the development of early Jewish eschatology and apocalyptic thought (particularly ideas pertaining to world eras, Judgment Day, the resurrection of the dead, punishment of the dead with eternal fire, etc.), as well as monotheism. One particular stream of thought in Zoroastrianism that was a specific later influence was chiliasm, which became very popular in Asia Minor. Revelation incorporates a chiliast eschatology and probably reuses material (particularly in ch. 11 and 13) from the Oracles of Hystaspes, a Parthian anti-Roman apocalypse that was popular among Christians (as noted by Justin Martyr) and which possibly passed through a Jewish edition (scholars disagree on this matter). The Zoroastrian parallel to Jesus as an eschatological Savior is not Mithra (who btw should not be confused with Roman Mithras) but Saoshyant. The parallels between Saoshyant and Jesus are very close, but these pertain only to eschatological function, not to the "life of Jesus" in the gospel narratives.
    • And at its very roots, early Judaism drew on pagan and native indigenous Canaanite influences, as attested throughout the OT and in Second Temple literature. Enochic Judaism was influenced both by Babylonian legends (particularly the Epic of Gilgamesh, such that Gilgamesh was named as one of the antediluvian giants) and Galilean/Syrian myths (particularly focused on the environs of Mount Hermon and the connection between the Asael and Shemihazah myths and Cananite mythology), and Zadokite Judaism is descended ultimately from a Yahwistic sacrificial cult that in pre-exilic times had utilized bovine iconography and probably figured Asherah (the tree of life) as Yahweh's consort (cf. the representation of "Bull El" as a bull in Ugaritic texts, the El and Asherah themes in the Eden narrative in Genesis 2-3, the "golden calf" story in Exodus which involved the worship of Yahweh, the golden bulls in Bethel and Dan related in 1 Kings, the Nehushstan and Asherah images in the Jerusalem temple related in 2 Kings, the use of "Bull of Jacob" as an El-related divine epithet in Genesis 49, the bovine iconism found in Bethel derogated in Hosea, the liturgy in Psalm 20 and its literary connection with the Amherst Papyrus, the reference of Yahweh as "our bull" and the "lord of Bethel" in the Amherst Papyrus, the bovine imagery of "Yahweh and his asherah" in the 8th-century BC Kuntillet Arjud pithos, etc.). Yahweh drew not only on Canaanite concepts of El (e.g. as the creator of the heavens and the earth, as dwelling on a holy mountain at a paradisical meeting-place of the waters of the world, who dwells in a tent, who meets and convenes the divine assembly, whose consort of Asherah, etc.), but also on concepts pertaining to Baal (e.g. as the bringer of rain, whose arrows are lightnings and whose voice is the thunder, who rides the clouds as his chariot, who opens the windows of heaven, who reigns as the divine king of the nation, who wages war against the nations as a divine warrior, etc.). Yahweh first appears in this historical record (in Egyptian inscriptions) in the Late Bronze Age as specially associated with the Edomites, and Yahweh was likely introduced into Canaan (the land of Israel) from the wilderness (where in the wilderness narratives of the Pentateuch, Yahweh's sacred mountain is located in Sinai). Since Israel's population incorporated Edomite tribes, this isn't really pagan influence as well but also native ANE traditions. But what defines Judaism is not its relation with cognate ANE religions but the modifications made in the exilic and post-exilic eras that moved away from these earlier models.
  • notverylikely
    notverylikely

You're being a totally patronising jerky. I havn't been jerky in this thread at all.

I wasn't referring to this thread. You posted a different thread to read with your points and within the first page you got seriously bent out of shape and went off on someone in a jerk fashion. In that OTHER thread, at that point, I quit reading because I don't feel like reading through jerky comments to get to what might be a point.

If there is a point you want to make in THIS thread, feel free to make it. I would love to read it.

I'm coming to this thread really late and I haven't read much of the discussion that has been going on lately, but just to add some general points:

Excellent points. You are teh smrt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit