The Pagan Christ

by poopsiecakes 127 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The fact that there are many principles contained in the gospels that would make the world a better place if applied correctly doesn't negate the fact that the same writings create a superiority complex among its adherents. This has lead to atrocities that can be placed directly on the shoulders of 'faith'. Other religions share in this so I'm not saying that Christianity is completely at fault. Religion and faith have caused more distress than anything else combined and that's what saddens me.

The Gospels, the faith, religion, all of these things are innanimate aobjects, they do not live, they do not move they do nothing.

People hurt people, let's put the blame where it belongs.

The core teachings of the Gospels are: Love God, Love yourself, Love your neighbor, love your enemies and forgive.

Yes, people have done horrific things in the name of God, in the name of religion, just as people have done horrific things in the name of progress, expansion, love, tribal unity, honour, pretty much anything you can think of, including doing horrific things because they have no moral Law and don't believe in one.

The blame is on people, period.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Jesus also said "I came not to bring peace, but a sword" and that he would tear families apart.

• tec
    tec

The core teachings of the Gospels are: Love God, Love yourself, Love your neighbor, love your enemies and forgive.

If we're looking for a general consensus on the meaning of the gospel, I agree with the above. I don't follow Christ based on the miracles, or even based on the resurrection hope -though I don't deny them, and I would certainly like to be with Him when I die. But I follow Christ because I believe this message, and one other. Faith brings strength and comfort to those who share it.

Yes, people have done horrific things in the name of God, in the name of religion, just as people have done horrific things in the name of progress, expansion, love, tribal unity, honour, pretty much anything you can think of, including doing horrific things because they have no moral Law and don't believe in one.

Agreed. I think the only way that many atheists are going to acknowledge this is if religion and faith are gone (or driven into hiding) and the wars and atrocities of man continue.

Tec

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults2.php?passage1=Matthew+10&book_id=47&version1=65&tp=28&c=10

I challenge anyone to read the above account and still contend that Jesus was speaking of literal warfare.

Sylvia

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Are you going to use that thing on your shoulder or is it notverylikely.

Look closely at yadder yadder 2's avatar. It was just a joke

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

But I follow Christ because I believe this message, and one other.

Jesus certainly wasn't the first to subscribe to these ideas. Why single him out?

I challenge anyone to read the above account and still contend that Jesus was speaking of literal warfare.

What he said or didn't say is all hearsay anyway :)

Agreed. I think the only way that many atheists are going to acknowledge this is if religion and faith are gone (or driven into hiding) and the wars and atrocities of man continue.

Acknowledge what? That people are jerks?

• tec
    tec

Jesus certainly wasn't the first to subscribe to these ideas. Why single him out?

Perhaps. But Jesus not only subscribed to these teachings, he also lived and died for them. Since the truth of his teachings and example resonate with me, I cannot disbelieve him when he says he came from God, or that he is the Son of God. Hearsay or not, those who wrote the gospel were closest to him, and they also lived and died for the example and word he taught.

Acknowledge what? That people are jerks?

That wars and atrocities are the works of people, with or without religion and/or faith.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

But Jesus not only subscribed to these teachings, he also lived and died for them.

No to be callous, but so? Lots of other people did before he came along.

Since the truth of his teachings and example resonate with me, I cannot disbelieve him when he says he came from God, or that he is the Son of God.

Others taught pretty much everything Jesus re-iterated before he came along. Were they also the son of god since the same things they taught BEFORE jesus resonates with you?

That wars and atrocities are the works of people, with or without religion and/or faith.

True. I don't think anyone has ever said a holy book has killed anyone, but it sure has been a common excuse to practice murder, genocide and oppression a lot more than it has "love thy neighbor".

• snowbird
    snowbird

NVL, didn't you mention something about hearsay?

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

NVL, didn't you mention something about hearsay?

I did. To what specifically are you referring?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit