The Pagan Christ

by poopsiecakes 127 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I did. To what specifically are you referring?

"Not to be callous, but so? Lots of other people did before he came along."

"Others taught pretty much everything Jesus re-iterated before he came along."

Aren't the above examples of hearsay?

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Aren't the above examples of hearsay?

No.

• snowbird
    snowbird

OOOOOOOOOOOK.

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

OOOOOOOOOOOK.

Why do you think it is?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Never mind.

Sylvia

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Never mind.

The Babylonians were teaching this exact thing 2000 years before JC. Check out the Akkadian Council of Wisdom. I'm just making the point if that if those are the teaching of Jesus and therefore he was the son of god, then the Babylonians teaching that must also have been the son of god.

• snowbird
    snowbird

OOOOOOOOOOOK.

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    True. I don't think anyone has ever said a holy book has killed anyone, but it sure has been a common excuse to practice murder, genocide and oppression a lot more than it has "love thy neighbor".

True, too true and the word "excuse" is quite correct.

Fact is though, the bible, in particular the OT, does/can lend itself to war and hate "propoganda".

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The Babylonians were teaching this exact thing 2000 years before JC. Check out the Akkadian Council of Wisdom. I'm just making the point if that if those are the teaching of Jesus and therefore he was the son of god, then the Babylonians teaching that must also have been the son of god.

Many of the teachings that were similar to Jesus's and came before Jesus were oriented towards a small group of people or a specific culture, Jesus's message was universal, for ALL.

The fact that the message endured and became synonymus with Jesus shows that, for whatever reason, HIS message carried more weight than those of the Babylonians.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

OOOOOOOOOOOK.

Where does that logic break down. tec said that she beleived Jesus was the son of god because of the the things he taught, I asked what those were, PSacramento gave me the basic gospel teachings, turns out some babylonians were teaching that 2000 years before the JC, so either he wasn' the son of god because he was re-hash some pagan teachings or they were also the son of god.

Many of the teachings that were similar to Jesus's and came before Jesus were oriented towards a small group of people or a specific culture, Jesus's message was universal, for ALL.

No to be picky, but what the heck. Jesus teaching were similiar to those other teaching since they came first. They were the originals. And those other teachings did not set a limit on who. The babylonian teaching said love your enemy. Well, the babylonians were enemies with pretty much everyone. And Jesus did 99% of his talking to jews.

The fact that the message endured and became synonymus with Jesus shows that, for whatever reason, HIS message carried more weight than those of the Babylonians.

Sorry, being puicky again. The message that Buddha preached, that the babylonians preached that Jesus later also preached. I don't know that I would say it carried more weight since, as you said, Christians have been some pretty badass "kill thy neighbor" kind of people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit