How honest should I be with a JW on Facebook?

by Quillsky 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

So this woman that I grew up with has sent me a friend request on Facebook. We've done a bit of back and forth "how are you" chat but I haven't accepted her request.

I can see she is still a JW because she belongs to some No-Blood Facebook group.

I do not want to be her friend on Facebook. I consider Witnesses to be bad association and I severely limit the number of JW's I have on my Facebook - only close family and people that I share close history with.

So what should I say to this woman? Should I gently tell her somehow that I don't want cult members on my Facebook, or just totally ignore her going forward?

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

If she was a friend before why not give her the chance to be a friend again? You would not want her to assume you to be someone who does immoral and sinful things without any proof of it simply because you don't believe in her religion any longer. Nor is it fair for you to assume she will display characteristics that offend you simply because she is still a witness. Let her be your friend and judge her on the merits of her actual behavior, not the behavior you assume she will have. Just because you don't agree on religion doesn't mean you can't be friends. That would be how I approached it, anyway. ;)

Jackie

• chicken little
    chicken little

You don't want to be her friend. So just explain that you only keep your facebook for family. No offence intented but you won't add her to your facebook.

If you do not want to say that then just press ignore.

I added a person that had been a friend on my facebook. She reported us to Bethel for celebrating christmas. I deleted her immediately.

Chicken little

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Tell her that you consider Witnesses to be bad association and that you severely limit the number of JW's you have on your Facebook - only close family and people that you share close history with.

• Mad Sweeney
  • xbro
    xbro

get on and talk,dont use trigger words like 'appostate ' or 'wrong'. the person may be having a crisis of concience and you could help them out of the cult.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Black Sheep, brilliant advice!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't know how I got a blank post there. Multitasking and clicking wrong I guess.

What I was going to suggest is using theocratic warfare strategy. Determine whether she is both worthy of and can handle the truth before deciding how honest to be with her.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am a fader and I feel free to read and say what I want on the internet. JW's would cramp my freedom. One elder from one of my past congregations asked to be my friend on FACEBOOK. At first I said YES, but one day he commented on an innocent picture that I had commented on. The pic was of an ex-JW friend of mine. So that meant he was reading my page. I immediately unfriended him and ignored further requests.

It's silly to be paranoid on the internet. But some people have become divorced over what they have said. Others have lost lifelong friends. I don't use FACEBOOK much, but I don't want to have to watch my back. I have not allowed any further JW's to "friend" me.

You don't want to be her friend. So just explain that you only keep your facebook for family. No offence intented but you won't add her to your facebook.

If you do not want to say that then just press ignore.

Good advice from Chicken Little.

• chickpea
    chickpea

not getting "friended" on FB isnt something
    most people would dwell on if no one makes
    it an issue...

i know some people accept every single request
    and end up with 400-800+ "friends" of which they
    "hide" 99% anyway because of the garbage stream
    of the most inane "news update" imaginable...

if it is possible you can be "found out" and possibly
    outted for disloyalty to the b0rg.... just ignore
    the request and if pressed, explain that you try
    to keep your "friends" limited to immediate family
    and close contacts... she can still get to your
    account as a friend of friends and read your
    wall, unless you set security to "friends"only.....

what the heck is a JW doing on facebook anyway?
    the m0thership has declared it off-limits!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit