If Jesus came in 1914, where is he?

by cyberjesus 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Jesus is where he always was...firmly embedded in the imagination.

1st century people who knew him face to face were absolutely convinced (apparently) that he was telling them something worthwhile. But, he died.

Now what?

There were things a Messiah must do!

He's dead.

Yeah, but.....um.....he has to be the Messiah so, I guess he'll come back and do what he needs to do next time.

Why didn't he do it the first time?

Oh, well.....he had his reasons!

You see, they all were certain he was coming back very very soon.

Paul certainly thought that.

Did he come back soon?

No.

Were they wrong?

Nah, they just didn't understand like WE DO!

And we do.

And we do.

And we do.

And we do.

(All the above were wrong. They didn't understand. But, we do.)

We do.

We do.

We do.

We do.

(They were wrong too. But, somebody has to be right--don't they? Must be us!)

Must be us.

Must be us.

Must be us.

(Well, it wasn't them.)

I guess, dammit----he IS BACK and he's invisible!

• RR
    RR
    1) So if Jesus was in heaven and came in 1914 where exactly was he and where is he now? is he on earth? I know is invisible presence but 2) where exactly? uh is he up in heaven? so then 3) what was the point of coming if he was gonna stay up there? he might as well not come until he was ready to actually do things. 4) So what exactly is he doing right now? Just watching us? Freaking Jesus.... answer me please!

Bible Students and Jehovah's Witnesses both believe in the parousia of Christ (invisible presence). However there is a 40 year difference. Bible Students believe the presence began in 1874, while the JW's believe it happened in 1914.

Now while they both believe in the Presence, they define it differently. In Chapter 4 of Volumes one of Studies in the Scriptures, it reads:

That our Lord intended his disciples to understand that for some purpose, in some manner, and at some time, he would come again, is, we presume, admitted and believed by all familiar with the Scriptures. True, Jesus said, "Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the age" (Matt. 28:20), and by his spirit and by his Word he has been with the Church continually, guiding, directing, comforting and sustaining his saints, and cheering them in the midst of all their afflictions. But though the Church has been blessedly conscious of the Lord's knowledge of all her ways and of his constant care and love, yet she longs for his promised personal return; for, when he said, "If I go, I will come again" (John 14:3), he certainly referred to a second personal coming

This feature of the Lord's presence is one that has been discarded by the Jehovah's Witnesses. It would seem as if they were addressing the articles to the Bible Students. Notice what the Watchtower Society teaches about the Presence:

"Not only are we not to look for Christ to be visible to human eyes when he comes again but we should not even think of his leaving heaven and coming within the confines of earth's atmosphere for him to be present. He returns or "visits" the earth as did Jehovah in times past, by turning his attention to things of earth. Thus Jehovah did not literally come down or "visit" (King James Version) the Israelites while they were in Egypt or at the time of the birth of John the Baptist; rather, he "turned his attention" to them. Likewise, when he began to call out a people from the nations for his name he did not literally "visit" but "turned his attention to the nations." (Ex. 4:31; Luke 1:68; Acts 15:14, NW) See also An American Translation and Moffatt." The Watchtower 02/15/55 pp. 102-103

Later in 1969 they wrote

"Then should you think of Jesus as invisibly present in the earth's atmosphere? When the Bible speaks of Jesus' return, it does not at all follow that for him to be present he has to leave his abode in the heavens". - The Watchtower 08/15/69, p. 485

Some points to keep in mind:

If our Lord only turns his attention to the earth, then the heavens still retain Him as he descends FROM heaven.

"Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began." Acts 3:19-21

"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." John 14:3;

In this verse, "go" and "place" are specific, "location", "room" "I will come again" to take us back to this place.

"Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house." Matt 12:29

Keep in mind that according to Matt 12:29 - our Lord "enters the strong man's house". This is Satan's house, which is the earth atmosphere, (tataroo)

So in essence, the JW's say they believe in a invisible presence, but their definition does not sgree with the doctrine itself. According to them, Jesus is still in heaven, he simply turns his attention to the earth in 1914. But if that is the case, then when Jesus told his disciples, "Lo, I am with you always." By their definition, that constitutes a presence. So, the Lord has ALWAYS been present.

RR

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

[quote=yknot]Then, in 1919, after a period of inspection, came the time for the Master to reward his faithful “slave.” Finding this servant class indeed thoroughly faithful in feeding the household of faith, Jesus gave the “slave” a new status. The “slave” had been feeding the “domestics,” but now had a greatly enlarged position over “all [Christ’s] belongings.”[/quote]

One of the things that is like grinding one's fingernails across the blackboard to me is the use of these esoteric terms. "Slave" instead of "servant" has long been one of them, and there are many other strictly pedestrian terms the JWs use that don't necessary affect their theology, but it makes it almost Marxist in its approach. Do any witnesses see these inelegant terms as objectionable in any way and why do so many of them use the same terms? What if one used "servant"? Would the entire fabric of the space-time continuum split, or would the user immediately be seen as not a member of the collective?

And what the hell does "discreet slave" actually mean, anyway? Does everyone talk like that? If, in a Sunday School class, someone referred to Christ as the "suffering servant" of Isaiah, would the rest of the class stand up, point and hiss like the aliens with the pods?

As for Christ doing anything in 1914, there's no evidence at all that anything happened in either heaven or Earth. Of course "invisible" miracles are always popular with many (like transubstantiation for the Catholics). The invisible always has the benefits of not being witnessed (if you'll excuse the term).

Did you see that?

No. Did you?

No, but that must mean it happened!

Yeah!

It's like the fastest gun in the West routine. (Wanna see it again?)

For the Catholics/Orthodox, who apparently have no concept of what metaphors are, transubstantian is a recurring miracle. You can't see it, taste it, feel it, smell it or measure it. But it happened. Totally invisible. Wanna see it again?

If I had to pick a year, it'd be 1862, not 1914. Anyone can believe what they want, of course, and that's the American way.

• clearlyenlight
    clearlyenlight

The only situation that is going to be a reality is New World Order, and the Watchtower is one big Deception.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Clearlyenlight posts another link to the conspiratorial crap.

• clearlyenlight
    clearlyenlight

So do you want to keep people deluded, that is what the Watchtower and all other religions are about.

How about open the mind, the New World Order will be arriving and will try to control everyone.

So explain what you disagree with.

• cyberjesus
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

What...Jesus is BLACK??? Why that's...that's...blasphemous...that's outrageous...that's...that's...!

What's that you say? He's BACK...not BLACK?

Never mind.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

From your link, Cyberjesus:

Jose Luis de Jesus refers to himself as ‘The Man Christ Jesus‘ and he believes there is no sin, the devil does not exist, and 666 is the number of God himself.

The Growing in Grace movement survives through donations, and this so called second coming brings in 1.4 million dollars a year. Some followers donate cars, homes, and large sums of money to the man who claims to be Jesus Christ.

----------

How is it that someone can convince so many people to join in his lunacy?

Is it really something in the drinking water that is causing this?

Can these people be educated before these religious leaders cause them to become dangerous to society?

Will he eventually take the money and run....and then they will wake up to it?

The world has gone mad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit