Legal Department....

by on the rocks 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

JWoods, weren't you an elder at one time....teaching means teaching about the Bible to the congregation. The fact remains that Barbara Anderson researched and drew up articles for the Awake, ones that were not teaching bible information. I don't think holy spirit has to be behind an article about a hummingbird. Perhaps she wore a headcovering.

The question remains whether any articles in WTS publications had any help by the holy spirit........

It is felt by some scholars that Deborah wrote the victory song in Judges chapter 5.

http://www.bartleby.com/108/07/5.html

• JWoods
    JWoods

Just making a point, Blondie. On why it is perfectly silly to think anything in those publications are remotely close to being spirit guided.

Actually, I had never heard the term "teaching article" as opposed to "informational article", at least back when I was an elder: late 1970s.

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

I heard once that the legal department is the biggest department at Patterson. They take up the most square footage. Not sure if that's true, but I'm thinking it was a Bethelite that told me that. It was a while back though.

• asilentone
    asilentone

JWoods, I was referring to the topic.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It is hard for me to imagine any real good lawyers stuck in a cult, if they had a thriving practice. I think they are scraping the bottom of the legal profession barrel and taking what ever they can get.

• Room 215
    Room 215

There's no question that legal concerns -- and potential financial liability -- dominate WT policy. Examples are the 1985 "simplification" of baptism vows, the proliferation of several coroporate entitities, the wording of disassociation and disfellowhipping announcements, the change to "voluntary donations" for literature, the instructions that congregational actions are set autonomously and not directed by Brooklyn/Patterson, etc., etc. were conceived by the Legal Department whatever the scriptural jistification offered to rationalized them.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Listed as Watchtower attorneys practicing in New York: Attorneys at 100 Watchtower Drive in Patterson, NY 12563: Philip Brumley (home address 131 Brimstone Road, Patterson NY 12563 although also given for him in another document was 2891 Route 22, Patterson, NY 12563-2236); Mario F. Moreno (home address 720 Route 292 in Holmes NY 12531), Carolyn Wah, Adam Lett, Paul D. Polidoro, Donald T. Ridley, Robert C. James, Richard King, John Miller III, Richard Moake, Erna Neufeld, Gregory D. Olds (home address 79 Willow Street, Brooklyn NY 11201 involved with Religious Order of JWs), William R. Bell, Christine Benham, Max Custer, Michelle Dickinson, Lisa Douglas, furthermore: Michelle Dickinson at 27 Hudson Watchtower Drive, Ossining NY 10562; further: Christine Benham at 275 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford Connecticut 06437; further, James M. McCabe can be mailed at 4817 Santa Monica Avenue, Suite B, San Diego, California 92017

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

They used to have 3 lawyers on site at Bethel in Australia.

• JWoods
    JWoods

A lot more lawyers than I would have thought...I would have guessed around 6. A lot more than I would have thought a purely religious organization would ever need.

Maybe not all of those listed by Gorbachev are full time bethelites?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If anyone asks they spin it as necessary to fight for legal religious freedom worldwide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit