When I was a boy,

by John Doe 30 Replies latest jw friends

• awildflower
    awildflower

When I was a girl we never got soda or chips! IF by some slim chance my mom had a soda it got spit between six kids! I'm glad though because to this day I don't drink soda (unless it's in Jack!) but chips, can be a weakness for me.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yeah... and Mars bars were 5cents when I was a kid.

• journey-on
    journey-on

When I was a girl, all we had was Kool-Aid. We drank it at dinner (supper is what we called it) then went to the meeting for more!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I was never a boy ........But when I was a little girl we only got pop as a special treat maybe once a month . I didn't know it had different names all I knew to ask for was Coke ,and I couldn't figure out why I never got Root Beer or Orange ??

My very first bus stop was the local A&W Root Beer drive in !!! so lucky .....Mom would give me a nickle once in a while and I could get the kids size root beer in a tiny glass mug ...ahhhh fond memories

I was just thinking about this the other day how we had just a few choices in things we bought ,and it was just fine . Now we have a Starbucks on every corner and super mega stores every where ....it is overwhelming . Now with the recession we are noticing everything is cutting back ,our local area has started shutting down several convenience stores ,movie stores and less choices in specialty stores .

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    I was never a boy ...

Neither was I - it wasn't allowed in my day.

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Does anybody remember lucky bags they were packed with sweets and goodies and a few pressies too. You never knew what you would get. Cantleave I must be a bit older than you because when I was a girl black jacks and fruit salads were halfpence each which is why all my back teeth were decayed and had to be filled by the time I was eleven yrs old. Also does anybody remember jublies triangular cartons with juice. In the summer they used to put them in the freezer.

• four candles
    four candles

Yeah jublees...brilliant,and lasted nearly for an hour at least when they were frozen solid!! But oh so refreshing!!

• poppers
    poppers

When I was a boy I had to walk 5 miles to the nearest Coke machine. The nearest fast food place, McDonald's, was 50 miles away (true). If we wanted a cool treat in the summer we poured organge juice in the ice cube tray and put toothpicks in them for handles (true).

• poppers
    poppers

When I was a boy my little community of 891 had 2(!) root beer stands. There was no freeway nearby but there were two state highways (each two lane) that intersected in town. It was amazing the number of out-of-state cars that stopped at those two establishments during the summer months. I lived a block away from one of them (the other was 2 blocks away) and you could smell the deep fat friers from my backyard. A regular root beer was 5 cents, and a large one 15 cents - people ate in their cars after being served by a carhop. "Baby" root beers were free.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When I was a boy..

I was much shorter..

You could buy a Coke for 10cents..

There were no Freeways ..

No McDonalds..

My little brother did`nt look old..

...................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest