Now That You Can Get Involved In Politics Is It All That Important To You?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

In Australia it’s compulsory to vote. After every election the JWs receive a “failure to vote” notice and they have to explain why they didn’t vote otherwise they are fined. Many Witnesses see it as an opportunity to witness although most electoral officers couldn’t care less if they voted or not.

I now vote and I relish the chance to be able to, after being denied the right to do so by the WTS.

However, I’m not interested enough in politics to really get involved. I’m what they call a swinging voter.

• undercover
    undercover

As I became inactive, I took an interest in politics. It was nice to be able to have an opinion and to weigh the issues and have a voice, but over time I've tired of the whole thing. Too many politicans are crooked. They're on the take from the lobbyists. There are too many scandals and coverups. While I still have my opinions, I don't voice them very often nor do I get too worked up about it. I'm too old to really give a shit anymore about some crooked bunch of assholes who have pretty much sold their soul and have given up on the original premise of the founding fathers.

Wait, were we talking about politics or the Watchtower Society?

• minimus
    minimus

Do ANY JWs vote in Australia?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The ramifications of a JW voting in Australia would be the same as any JW in the USA or elsewhere.

Now if a JW wanted to vote, s/he would have to be careful not to be seen at a place of voting, which are normally schools, churches or local town halls.

• minimus
    minimus

WT. says you CAN vote.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I would like to be more involved, but I feel like an idiot with it all. Intimidated would be a good description I feel towards politics

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

WT. says you CAN vote.

Interesting--must have happened since '96. How recent is that change?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I was a political animal before I became a JW. While a JW I hid my interest in it to an extent, but watched the news every night and read all kinds of things. One of the first things my wife and I did when we left was register to vote. The last presidential candidate I voted for before dubdom was McGovern. I voted for Dukakis when I got out. I've drifted right since then.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

Politics is just like "Professional" Wrestling.

Judge Dread

• Jourles
    Jourles

I probably invest a little too much time into following politics. Unfortunately, it does affect each and every one of us whether we like it or not. I've had plenty of political run-ins on this site in the past. The biggest problem I still see each and every day in the news is the D vs R/Us vs Them mentality. Both sides stoke the fire equally well (although I would have to say Fox is better when it comes to stoking fear). Here in the USA, we need a serious 3rd party to emerge. I'm not too fond of all this Tea Party crap. It's so damned fractious it's ridiculous. I straight up hate(maybe that's a little too harsh of a word) R's and D's alike. Fingers always get pointed along with a title such as "liberal" or "Neocon." Well, the R's had 8 solid years to show they could keep gov't small. That didn't turn out great at all. Obama is merely continuing all of Bush's mistakes and then some. We get bombarded by Bernanke and Geithner telling us that the fox needs to continue to guard the henhouse or our economy will crash further yet. Bullshit. Transparency is key with the Fed. Any time a gov't official says the opposite, vote that mofo out of office. The vast majority of the American people want to know where our money is going (TARP) - it's time for our "representatives" to represent instead of stonewall.

So no, I'm not at all involved in politics whatsoever.

Ron Paul 2012

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit