Jesus Christ and Socrates...

by quietlyleaving 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

the differences and similarities. Is anyone interested in this subject? Socrates was not an atheist (But I still think he laid the groundwork for it).

Here is one similarity and difference. Both emphasized a search for truth. Jesus said "I am the truth" but to Pilate he is said "what is truth". Why was this? To me the answer highlights an important difference between Plato's Socrates and the bible's Jesus Christ but I need you guys to help me give birth to it

Whatever thinking you lean towards - Atheism, christianity, agnosticism, mysticism - welcome - I'd be interested in your thoughts.

edit: I didn't mean to put this under watchtower society - but now that it is done, it really is very relevant to the wts.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Jesus Christ and Socrates...they were both pioneers in the true sense of the word.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

gladiator you said

"Jesus Christ and Socrates...they were both pioneers in the true sense of the word."

I agree. And yet both were sentenced to death. Can we say that in both cases popular opinion turned against them and the authorities then found it necessary to bring them to trial? or was it the other way round - the authorities did not like their subversive activities and influenced the crowd against them?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

They both threatened to upset the status-quo and undermine the established order at that time. This happens in every society and provides the impetus for change. There is usually a martyr or a talking animal involved.

Galileo was a visionary who threatened the authority of the established church and it's teachings and was threatened with torture and death. He denounced his own ideas threw the towel in.

I never knew these people personaly - I am a modern gladiator!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Xenophones too. However many who stood against the establishment and against public opnion took the option of going into exile. Jesus and Socrates were different in that they remained and became martyrs. Is this a loss or a gain or something incalculable?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Socrates helped Bill and Ted realize we're all dust in the wind. dude. Which helped lead to the modern philosophy: "Be excellent to each other."

Jesus helped some folks learn about love and kindness which moved someone to write: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

• wobble
    wobble

Both liked a drink, i.e Jesus' first miracle.

But Jesus did not overindulge, as far as we know. We have the following testimony about Socrates, however,

"Socrates himself is certain to be missed, a lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed" Monty Python. The Philosophers Song

Wobble

• cantleave
    cantleave

Bill and Ted brought Socrates back in their time machine but forgot about Jesus.

• quietlyleaving
  • tec
    tec

Jesus said "I am the truth" but to Pilate he is said "what is truth".

Maybe this is just a typo, but I don't understand what you meant by a difference here. Jesus said "I am the truth." But Pilate is the one who asked, "What is truth?" John 18:38 (NIV)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit