Atheist with crisis of conscience. Please help.

by parakeet 70 Replies latest jw friends

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

parakeet--your recently-published "new light" regarding your intentions in this thread ("My intent is to encourage those Christians who insist atheism is a faith to examine their reasons for making that claim and to provide sensible answers,") seems contradictory to the spirit of the original post, which was obviously mocking that particular belief of those people you now claim you're entreating for honest opinions--I'm guessing that's why the bulk of your responses thus far have also been humorous replies from the atheists who picked up on your tone (or serious replies from atheists whose sarcasm detectors need a tune-up) instead of honest replies from theists who hold said belief. Just an observation.

Anyway, on to my own atheistic answer:

To be a good atheist (as opposed to a mere ignorant nontheist or convictionless agnostic), it is absolutely obligatory that you make the following wild, (ir)rational leap of (il)logic:

God is all-powerful.

God is all-good.

There exists heinous evil in the world.

Therefore, God, as here defined, cannot exist.

Actually, holding as belief any equivalent (il)logical progression, so long as the conclusion is the same as above and follows logically from the premises--which themselves are either tautologies or conceded-to descriptions of God--will qualify you as one of the faithful--faith that your own mind, your own rationality, and your own comprehension of this universe is more worthwhile than blind faith in the deities imagined during someone else's drug trip.

Additionally, it helps to eat a beef and pork hotdog, with the bun, on a Friday. Or maybe that's some other club...certainly couldn't hurt, though.

• parakeet
    parakeet

A. Fenderson: parakeet--your recently-published "new light" regarding your intentions in this thread ("My intent is to encourage those Christians who insist atheism is a faith to examine their reasons for making that claim and to provide sensible answers,") seems contradictory to the spirit of the original post, which was obviously mocking that particular belief of those people you now claim you're entreating for honest opinions

I had to switch gears midstream because a few posters took my irony seriously. The purpose of the irony in my initial remarks was not to mock Christians in general but rather to attract those who claim atheism is a faith and a lifestyle without raising their hackles. I've seen many, many posts that forward that opinion, and they always leave me scratching my head in wonder. I truly want to know the reasoning on which these Christians make such claims. I suspect that their assertions have no basis in fact, and that's why, so far, I've received no serious responses to my questions.

--I'm guessing that's why the bulk of your responses thus far have also been humorous replies from the atheists who picked up on your tone (or serious replies from atheists whose sarcasm detectors need a tune-up) instead of honest replies from theists who hold said belief. Just an observation.

Could be, could be. But just asking outright makes the defenses go up and rational thought go out the window. I tried to fly under their radar by adopting a humorous rather than an direct approach. Maybe no appeal, whether humorous, mocking, angry, or sincere, can make these people provide a rational justification for what they say. Just an observation.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Tec,

That video is quite awful, really. It says a lot about me, because I can turn on you in a second - so watch it!

But what was I going to say?

Oh yeah, everyone generalises. Atheists see fundumbmentalists and automatically think that all religions are like that, along with all people. Just like all Catholic priests are child molesters. The other camp sees one atheist as needing some kind of belief system that is rigid, hateful against god, and bam! We're all like that. And on, and on, and on. Just like American politics.

That's what's wrong with society today: overgeneralization.

Personally, I've gone from atheist to agnostic, because I'm not such a pompous ass as to not believe there is a god if he came right down and told me so. But trust me when I say, I'm 99.99999999 percent certain there isn't one, but I don't throw it down people's throats. (no, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone!)

We can all get along; atheist, satanist, whatever, as long as we respect each other. By and large, we do.

• shamus100
    shamus100

BTW, tec,

I used to be one of those pompous 'I hate god and everyone who believes in god' type person, just so you know where I'm coming from. I'm far from perfect too.

Kiss me!

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I'm far from perfect too.

Don't let him fool you tec, he's highly evolved

• beksbks
    beksbks

A. Fenderson, you seem so familiar. Do we know you in another form?

• tec
    tec

Shamus - I see you going around inviting, coaxing, demanding everyone to kiss the monkey... Far from perfect or simply highly evolved, I was beginning to feel left out...

Hmm.

Now I think I just fear for my face!

My husband is an atheist who usually 'hates everyone who believes in God'... except that he loves me, and my faith just throws a real monkey-wrench into his 'comfort zone.' Poor, poor man... but at least now he has room to grow.

(So it looks like I finally figured out how to use the smily face things... okay, I overdid it, but its the simple things in life we enjoy.)

• rebel8
    rebel8

I just went to a xian funeral and I felt so sad for the people.

The priest kept saying we are all wishing WE were the ones with the Lord instead of her and it's really US who should be sad we have to live on earth and wait to get to heaven.

I am as at peace with death as a person can be. I am filled with wonder and awe about the universe and science's ability to understand it....and also ok with knowing my atoms will return to the universe.

I am really "in the now", making the most of this life, not fearing death or not making the most of this life in favor of something that's going to come next.

Unfettered by assumptions made by falible and/or ignorant humans millions of years ago...very freeing...I am free to see things for how they are, not how I wish them to be.

If some day a god or gods make themselves known and they're really worth worshipping, he/she/them will be glad to know I've made the most of their gift of life--living ethically, using my brain, making the world a better place, and enjoying the gift.

• Scully
  • A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

parakeet: Maybe no appeal, whether humorous, mocking, angry, or sincere, can make these people provide a rational justification for what they say. Just an observation.

I suspect you're right.

beksbks: A. Fenderson, you seem so familiar. Do we know you in another form?

Not on this forum--I first came across it roughly a week ago: my sister (we were raised in the JW religion from infancy and got the hell out in our teens (well, 19-almost-20 for me (don't you love nested parentheticals?))) shared a funny anecdote from freeminds.org, and I eventually followed a trail that led to some interesting threads here. I post to a few other forums irregularly, but I generally use the same username across all of them, and none of the others are related to religion.

rebel8: If some day a god or gods make themselves known and they're really worth worshipping, he/she/them will be glad to know I've made the most of their gift of life--living ethically, using my brain, making the world a better place, and enjoying the gift.

I like this thought and admire the attitude behind it, nicely put. I consider myself a "hardcore atheist," so long as God is defined in the typical manner, but any intellectually-honest atheist must also acknowledge that in the more general case, they simultaneously fit the definition of agnostic. Maybe this long-absent G/god(s/dess(es)) isn't quite all-powerful, or not really all-good--possibly even downright mischevious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit