Atheist with crisis of conscience. Please help.

by parakeet 70 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

So many assume that atheists are just bitter at God over some bad experiences.

Oh, they're just twits. The same kind of twits that group all religion into fundie twits. Most who have a belief don't push their beliefs on other twits and appear somewhat to be normal twits.

Twits.

The lot.

Twits.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

To be an atheist you have to fail to see the evidence of a designer in all aspects of life.

Here we go with "there's got to be a designer" again.

Who designed our designer? Must have been a complex dude. Who designed our designer's designer? Must have been a complex dude, too. Who designed our designer's designer's designer's designer? Now that dude was really complex! Who designed...?

I dont know who designed our designer.

I dont even know who my great great great great grandfather was.

The God that I am hypothesizing is a spirit in a realm that man doesnt understand.

Just like he didnt understand radio waves 300 years ago.

There may be only one God or he may have come from a long line of Gods. God being our designer.

God may be a corporation in the spirit realm, made up of many designers.

God is what I call evidence of design. God is what I call the lifeforce, nature.

In the movie contact written by one of the most prominent atheist at the time Carl Sagan,

they were looking for signs of life in the univers, radio signals, mathematical signals.

They were failing to acknowledge and recoginize the many many mathematical evidences

right before their noses. The mathematical position of the earth in relation to the sun and the

moon. The mathematical ratios of carbon and co2.

I dont know why I keep entering these ahtheist God debates. There will never be enough evidence

either way. Thats why both sides are called faith.

And in the end we all die.

I wasted the first third of my life in a kingdom hall, I'm wasting the 2nd third of my life arguing

whether there is a God or not.

Maybe thats what we do here in this world waste our lives, spend our lives amusing ourselves.

• parakeet
    parakeet

tec: My two cents on what atheism is? Atheism is not faith in disbelief. It is a lack of faith or belief in anything that cannot be proven by science. I do not believe that it is a religion...... II don't go out and mock a group of atheists in protest... which seems, at least to me, to be the intent of this post. Or perhaps I have mistakenly heard sarcasm where there is none?

You're that rarity among Christians who respects others' beliefs or nonbeliefs. You understand what atheism is (and isn't).

There is indeed sarcasm intended in this post, but it was not directed at enlightened believers like you.

• parakeet
    parakeet

cyberjesus: No there is no sarcasm here. She is trying to figure out how to be a good Atheist. One that deserves dying and going to "nowhere"....

All of us are going to die whether or not we "deserve" it.

OTWO: The good news, Parakeet, is that you do not belong to a religion known as atheism.

The gospel (good news) of atheism is that it is not a religion, faith, or a set of beliefs. Hallelu......well, just hallelu. Thanks OTWO.

leavingwt: We are a mixed bag, here.

That's why I like it here. The particular flavor I'm searching for in the bag is those Christians who insist atheism is a religion, and what I'd like to hear from them is exactly why and how an atheist is supposed to practice his "religion." I'm not interested in hearing about their beliefs about ID; I want them to describe atheist dogma, clergy, lifestyle, and all the baggage that a religion brings with it.

Haven't heard any serious responses yet.

drwtsn32: Parakeet, you are going down a dangerous path. You should not question such things. Please speak with atheist elders after the meeting. They will help you.

See, no serious responses. But still funny, Dr. Watson.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Parakeet,

Who cares what they think? You don't want to mention those secret meetings that we sometimes go to... you know... where we discuss how we're going to bring down religion... Kiss me!

But on a serious note, I don't believe anyone is 100 percent atheist. Let's face it, if buddah came down from the sky and told you to smarten up, I would expect you to go through psychotherapy for about ten years and if you were deemed sane, you could believe again.

It's a long-shot, but one never knows.

• parakeet
    parakeet

shamus: So many assume that atheists are just bitter at God over some bad experiences. Oh, they're just twits. The same kind of twits that group all religion into fundie twits. Most who have a belief don't push their beliefs on other twits and appear somewhat to be normal twits.

Some confusion here, shamus. Who are the twits? the atheists or those who assume atheists are bitter at God? That crack you injected must still be messing you up. Or maybe those horse pills you took.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Parakeet,

I peed out the crack this morning - feeling somewhat normal now, although seem to be unusually happy and have a bit of a drool this A.M.

The 'twits' are those people that assume that : A) All religious people think the same. An example: Everyone who believes in religion is just like the poster here named Perry and his bird. That's one extreme example...

B) Those religious people that assume that all atheists are bitter at god.

It goes both ways. I know and am friends with people who are deeply religious and they never bother me with it.

Now let's face it - we can say things on this board that we would never say in public, and it's nice to be able to do so - but in real life, we would all be a little more tactful and keep our deepest opinions to ourselves.

Just thoughts from a twitching monkey.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Did I mention how much peeing out the crack stones hurt? My eurethra!!! OOOOOH!

• parakeet
    parakeet

jaguarbass: I dont know why I keep entering these ahtheist God debates. There will never be enough evidence either way. Thats why both sides are called faith......And in the end we all die.

I'm not looking for evidence either way. I'm looking for information about the faith of atheism.

To me, not enough evidence about ID and God simply means there's not enough evidence about ID and God -- it doesn't mean I have faith there is no God; it just means there's not enough evidence. I can live with that. Why can't you?

And in the end we all die -- that's the way it's always been. Why be gloomy about it?

• Terry
    Terry

On the other hand, I'm told by others (mostly Christians) that atheism is belief in the non-existence of a God.

Is it a belief or isn't it? If it is a belief, I want to know how to believe to the best of my ability. I don't want to be a "Sunday-morning" type of atheist.

What you are talking about (above quote) is other people framing an issue so they can attack it. Believers who are apologists

are very strong on strawman fallacy. They set up an Atheist in a phoney way and then attack what they themselves set up.

Atheism is not belief. It is disbelief. This should be "duh"!

Disbelieving Santa Claus is not a religious belief. It doesn't have tenets and practices. There is no right way and wrong way to disbelieve Santa Claus.

See how silly that is?

You are concerned with RIGHT BEHAVIOR.

Ethics stems from values.

Philosophically, what you want to do is examine your values so that you can live your life according to them.

May I humbly suggest you grab a copy of Mortimer J. Adler's TEN PHILOSOPHICAL MISTAKES.

Remember, religion deals with Authority. Ethics stems from actual values. Values cannot be commanded.

There are no report cards handed out for atheists. Don't worry about not getting a passing grade.

Life is your report card. A good life well lived with friends and a solid consistency in pursuing values is all you really need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit