The history of 1914

by PYRAMIDSCHEME 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

I am still going through the questioning my faith stage as I just discovered the inconsistencies of the org. It was 1914 that really threw me for a loop. I have never been completely sold on the "new light" policy. My first info on 1914 outside the org was the pyramids. I read that thats where Russell Got the date. However after further research, thats not exactly true. He manipulated the measurements to corroborate a date he had already. First it was 1874 then 1914 later on.

So my question is this: Who was the first to preach 1914 and when? Barbour? Storrs? I don't think it was Russell. And how did they arrive at the date? Was it the same way Rutherford did using Daniel?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

You really need to get a hold of Jonsson's "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" - it'll fill you in on the fascinating history. Available HERE.

Failing that, you can look through the titles HERE.

An brief overview (albeit a candy-coated one) can also be found in your Proclaimers book, p. 46-7, 132 ff.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The prophecy of Daniel 4 was regarding Nebuchadnezzar. It is a Protestant tradition to try to give prophecies second fulfilments in order to try to give them meaning for the people of their times. As the centuries move on, so do the interpretations of these second fulfilments.

I am sure there have been many other interpretations of Daniel 4, but pertaining to where Russell got his interpretation from I have found the following.

In 1823 John Aquila Brown published in The Even-Tide that the "seven times" of Daniel 4 were prophetic of 2520 years running from the beginning of Nebuchadnezzar's reign in 604 B.C. to 1917 A.D. He did not equate this to the end of the Gentile Times.

In the 1830's a farmer named William Miller explained that a number of prophecies were to conclude in 1843, and so came to the conclusion that Daniel 4 was also to end in 1843. To do so he claimed the seven times started when Manasseh was taken as a captive to Babylon in 677 B.C. This was to signify the 'time of the end', the destruction of Babylon and when the dead would be raised. Apollos Hale and Sylvester Bliss corrected this date by removing the year zero that Miller had used in the calculation, promoting the time of the end to the year 1844. At Miller's suggestion Samuel Snow calculated that the end would arrive on October 22. This was to correspond with the tenth day of the seventh Jewish month, the Day of Atonement for the year 1844. Rather than using the current Jewish calendar he used an older calendar invented by the Karaite Jews. Jehovah's Witnesses still use the Karaite calendar in their calculations, including for the date of the memorial.

When 1844 proved to be false prophecy it was reworked by Second Adventists, such as Barbour to move the start date to 606 B.C. and the end date to 1914 A.D. Russell took his teaching directly from Barbour.

This was expected to culminate in Armageddon. With the failure for the end to eventuate in 1914 most Adventist groups came to recognise that Daniel 4 was not intended to have a second prophetic fulfilment and stopped referring to it.

It wasn't until the 1940's that the Watchtower Society officially removed the zero from their calculations. In order to retain 1914 they changed the desolation of Jerusalem from 606 B.C. to 607 B.C.

• wary
    wary

Hi,

This subject has interested me also. I googled 2520 and cane across several sites that mention Issac Newton.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=2520+prophecy+issac+newton&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Where you aware of this 'jw facts' ? Ive read some older posts on the topic but am not sure what to think!

wary

• wary
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

Wary - I vaguely remember Newton was into prophecy, but did not know he had a 2520 year prediction as well. I will have to look into that one.

• JeffT
    JeffT

A couple of points of interest from "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" (sorry I have to type this out of my hard copy). Pages 14-15: The year for a day method runs back to Jewish scholars perhaps as early as the first century AD for some prophecies, and the ninth Century AD for longer time periods mentioned in Daniel. The first use of this method by a Christian seems to have been by Joachim of Florence who lived 1330-1202.

Pages 20-21 have a table of all the different calculations related to the 1260 days (42 months) in revelation. The dates given for the publications of these interpretations run back to about 1300. The time periods mentioned run from 38-1328 for the earliest, 756-2016 for the latest. There are 36 different interpretations inbetween those two. Take your pick.

On pages 38,39 he has another table relating to the 2520 year time prophecy. This one seems to have originated with Brown but there are a total of 30 listed. The ending dates run from 1792 to 1934.

I have concluded that this is a really easy method of prophecy. You pick the date you want the world to end, and then pick a method of making the calculation that backs you into the number you want!

• jehovahsheep
    jehovahsheep

who is that faithful and discreet slave? it is merely a faithful individual follower of christ -nothing more.just like the parable of the talents.faithful individuals.

• wary
    wary

Hi Jeff T

Sorry PYRAMID SCHEME I dont mean to take over your thread.

I will have to read that book.

But why is it, that this seems to be a 'standard' applied to prophesies. I mean if it origionates with Jewish Scholars, Why?

What would be another way to calculate?, if the presumption is that it was meant to be calculated.

Why is 'times' twice and not thrice?

Oh my head hurts!

Wary

• yknot
    yknot

I think you will find reading through Rutherford far more 'eye opening'.......Seeing exactly how and when 1914 developed into our modern-day interpretation!

For instance, while the WTS mentions twice 1914 as the paraousia in 1929, it returns to 1874 until after Rutherford's death and a year into Knorr's reign (1943).

You learn that the 'sifting'/'refining' wasn't a long stretch of period that it is now suggested but rather the removal of the GB that didn't support Rutherford during the first year of take-over.

You learn that pyramidology wasn't dropped as 'truth' until 1928!

You learn that the WT still endorses (meaning they have yet to reverse the matter) the 'fact' that women go bald from bobbing their hair and tons of other sheer quackery and occulty stuff from reading the Golden Age (now known as the Awake... see that explains why on your WT-CD all the Awakes are coded with a 'g'.)

You begin to discern the patchwork that became our modern belief system is not from any success but as a result of failures and the need to explain them away!

Well wishes on your continuing journey of discovering the truth about the 'troof'!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit