how to sue the WTBS?

by orangefatcat 25 Replies latest jw friends

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I really appreciate your input to my question. And in my opinion there seems to mme that there is a way to sue,
    If priests are charged and sued by survivers, many have won in the courts against these sickos.
    I believe one of u mentioned alienation of affection, as a way to go. Or defamation of ones good name. Or the death of someone who refused medical treatments, because we have been indoctrinated systematicaly over many years. Its like trying to escape from a maze and you can't find the exit. It seems to me that an answer exists, but how to is the matter in question.
    PROCRASTINATION IS THE THIEF OF TIME!!

• worldly girl
    worldly girl

Umtiger, I think you're right that the public opinion is what will make the difference; since, that's what makes them thrive. Besides that, the exposure could change the legal view of JW's and the WTS as well, since they are such law-abiding citizens!! ROFLMAO :) None-the-less, that's not to say that the courtbattles are no longer important. I think since there are so many vicitms, that they are entitled to some sort of compensation(not financial), even if it's just to bring out the injustices that are being done. It can also be a sense of emotional healing as well, to actually admit that the WTS is not what we were taught and STOP feeling guilty. To actually get to the point, I've never heard of anyone actually suing the WTS, who hasn't been 'apostate', but I'm sure if one searched long enough, some dirt would turn up.

WG

• seven006
    seven006

Eman,
    here is the discription of a class action. It comes from a law firm that specialized in them. You basically have only two categories in which you can file in regard to the JW's. One is "human rights violation" and the other is "hate."

What is a Class Action?
    A class action suit may occur when many different people combine their similar complaints. This saves court time and allows a single judge to hear all the concerns at the same time, and come to one settlement for all parties. If the court agrees to certify the complaints as a class action, all class members should have equal say and rights to any monies or remedies ordered by the court.

Here is a link to their site.
    http://www.bigclassaction.com/

Dave

• picosito
    picosito

I just checked seven006's link: http://www.bigclassaction.com. INTERESTINGLY, there is no link for Religion or Churches. Applicable links could be Civil Rights, Discrimination, Financial, Fraud, Human Rights, Medical/Health and Slavery/Slave Labor. Any more thoughts on this one? Even if a Class-Action suit might not be successful, perhaps just talking it up as a possibility would add more fuel to the anti-Watchtower-scam sentiment that's been bouncing around the globe via the Internet, thus making them even more paranoid about how perhaps Babylon's waters drying up is actually being fulfilled against THEM, thus helping more and more sincere ones to "get out of her."

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Japan's Aum Shinrikyo cult, which was behind the deadly 1995 Tokyo subway gas attack, says it has set up a computer business to compensate its victims.
    Twelve people died and more than 5,000 were injured when Aum members released sarin gas during morning rush hour.

The cult, which has changed its name to Aleph - the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet - says it is now a benign religious group.

On Tuesday, the group said 21 followers had set up a software company in Tokyo in August and planned to start operations this month.

"By running a company, we hope to boost our efforts in raising funds to compensate our victims," Aum said in a statement.

Before it renounced violence, Aum Shinrikyo earned millions of dollars from computer companies. Police investigations following the 1995 attack revealed the group had supplied software to the police and defence agencies as well as a number of prominent Japanese companies.

Pay outs

Several cult members have been sentenced to hang for their part in the subway attack.

Cult founder Shoko Asahara is in jail

Aum founder Shoko Asahara, whose real name is Chizuo Matsumoto, has been in custody since May 1995 while his trial on multiple charges, including murder and masterminding the subway attack, continues.

In December 1999 the group admitted its role in the gassing. Since then it has paid $2.45m (303.5 million yen) in compensation to its victims, said Tuesday's statement.

The group also said it was working to help the victims of the 11 September terror attacks in New York and Washington.

"We are urging our followers and former followers to cooperate and do their utmost in donating money and relief products", the statement said.

http://www.do-not-call.org

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

The problem with suing the WTS is the 1st amendment. The government wont go after a religion because they wasted someone's life away serving said religion. If that were possible, then the 1st amendment would be in jeopardy.

I think the best chance we got is going after them for bad medical advise, mental health advice, etc. Also, a religion is required to follow its own published rules. That's another avenue that has been discussed before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit