Do you feel that suicide is wrong?

by dandingus 62 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Socrates in effect committed suicide for his faith.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Was Judas justified in hanging himself? Peter on the same night, betrayed Jesus as well, but Peter sought forgiveness instead of killing himself.

Their betrayal wasn't quite on the same level.

right.

• Glassman96
    Glassman96

Samson gave his life as a sacrifice for God. God gave him the strength to destroy the Philistines. Samson did not commit suicide. He humbled himself before God. Read it again: Judges 13: 24 - 16: 30

• snowbird
    snowbird
    It is interesting that the bible itself is strangely silent on this issue - the only two mentions that I can think of were Samson and Judas.

Ahithophel, King Saul?, and Zimri.

Sylvia

• Glassman96
    Glassman96

"Their betrayal wasn't quite on the same level." How can you say this? Peter denied knowing Jesus, not once, but three times. Could you imagine how he must've felt? I don't think anyone could. It almost brings me to tears thinking about how he must've felt. Nobody really knows what was going through Judas' mind except that he did collect 30 pieces of silver which he did give back. He had a choice to repent but chose not to. According to the Bible.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    How can you say this?

Because no one got killed from Peter's betrayal.

• nugget
    nugget

There was a quote on a TV show about someone who had interviewed everyone who had tried to commit suicide by jumping off the golden gate bridge but survived. All the people had realised about half way down that everything they had thought was wrong with their life was fixable. Everything that is, except for the fact that they had just jumped off the bridge.

Many commit suicide because at that moment everything is overwhelming. With good counselling and affection from family and peers these problems can be overcome. In these cases suicide is wrong .

However how can I judge someone who after careful consideration and because of immense suffering sees death as their only release? In these cases I only object when they ask a family member to do the deed on their behalf. They are released from their problems but expect someone to live on with the knowledge they killed someone they loved.

It is a difficult subject though and a very good question.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Many good replies Including AK-Jeff & purplesofa.

I personally do not think we chose to come here but, having looked around and worked out the deal, we do have the right to decide whether we stay.

Suicide causes a great deal of pain for loved ones left behind but often the person wanting to end their life is in too much emotional pain to consider the pain of others, or they have no loved ones.

Suicide is a selfish act but then continuing to fight for survival on an over crowded planet could be considered selfish.

We all die anyway. At the end of the day, or perhaps before then, I think we have the right to choose when we surrender to the inevitable.

• lumper
    lumper

I have always taken comfort in the thought that God is gracious to children who have not reached the age of accountability. The other side of that coin of grace is that he must then also be gracious to the mentally incapacitated. Being that we all are born with an overwhelming survival instinct I think that when someone( the vast majority exception Hitler, those who kill themselves to prevent jali, execution etc) ends their own life they at some point have stepped over the point of sanity and God's grace surrounds them.

• dissed
    dissed

I would consider it if I was terminally ill. Really just to speed up the process, if...I was in very bad shape.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit