Do you feel that suicide is wrong?

by dandingus 62 Replies latest jw friends

• dandingus
    dandingus

Minimus got me thinking with his thread about whether or not you know anyone that committed suicide. I think it might be interesting to see what the opinions are.

What do you think?

Are there cases where it is understandable? Or are you categorically against it?

(I hope I don't start any arguments by posting this, but an open, informed discussion would be welcome.)

• asilentone
    asilentone

Yes suicide is wrong, their days could have been better ahead.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Wrong - subjective

Unfortunate - objective

My take.

Sylvia

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Wrong is a judgement and everyone has different morals and beliefs. In some cultures suicide is sometimes the honorable course in certain situations. I would never judge someone 'wrong' for considering or carrying out suicide. I would say suicide is always an unfortunate tragedy. Certainly in instances where someone has a terminal illness that is very painful and lingering I can even understand it.

Jackie

• Titus
    Titus

It is criminal activity in my country, and you can be penaled for that!

• minimus
    minimus

"Wrong"??? Ah, yes unless you were faced with being tortured until you die, then "suicide" is a better alternative.

• VIII
    VIII

I suppose I would have to look at it like abortion.

• dandingus
    dandingus

Snowbird & The Silence - you're absolutely right that stating that something is "wrong" is passing judgement on it. But our own personal opinions and dare I say, judgements, is what the thread was about. I don't think there is anyone who would say that it's not "unfortunate".

It's just that I've had this discussion with some family members as an intellectual exercise as well as a moral and philosophical discussion and I wanted to hear what the members here have to say on the matter. Opinions welcome.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

It's a persons choice.

Each individual cicumstance is unique to that person.

Here is a movie of a true story of a man that fights for the right to commit suicide.

The Sea Inside (Spanish: Mar adentro ) is a 2004 film by the Spanish director Alejandro Amenábar . It is based on the real-life story of Ramón Sampedro (played by Javier Bardem), a Spanish ship mechanic left quadriplegic after a diving accident. Sampedro fought a 28-year campaign in support of euthanasia and his right to end his own life. He was not able to get the court to rule in his favor, but he did end his life (after drinking cyanide).

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I think it should be punishable by death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit