Has Your Growth As A Person Been Stunted Because Of Being A Witness?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think that in many areas, that just might be the case.

What do you think?

• Funchback
    Funchback

I heard that's what happened to Gary Coleman.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep

• yknot
    yknot

Oh no.... JWs are the most well adjusted righthearted persons on the earth......

LOL I would have been better off being trained-up to kiss Shamus' hairy monkey butt!

• Heaven
    Heaven

In my case, it's a mix. In some ways, yes, but in others, no.

In spite of my upbringing, I defied some of the mind control and went to College. As a woman, I went forth and obtained a career. I have always had my own inner strength to decide for myself what was good and what was not. I listen to my inner voice and my conscience especially when something sets my BS detector off. I have always sought to continue to learn and educate myself. I try to be observant and learn from others. I watched how the JW ideals did not work in my family and I took note. "Headship" was one of these.

Unfortunately, I did not have children. Some of this is because of the ideas put in my head from the WTS about the world being very bad, children will turn against their parents, don't have children before Armageddon; stuff like that. I am now too old to have any children.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

"As a person" By this do you mean that we could of developed a career in many of the arts, businesses, schoolings, disciplines etc. If so I would have to say yes. I was stunted.

Why? Because many of us were told the end is near and there is no need to get on with life in anything other than do more, do more, preach the word, come to meetings, etc.

I used to be a LAW LIBRAIAN, and would of grown in this field as a para-legal and unto becoming a trial lawyer like LAW and ORDER.

However growth as a person in this discipline of law was put away because of being a witness for over 30 years.

I sometimes try to imagine what good works I could of had achieve in this disipline.

At 65 years of age now, I do a lot of reading to occupy my days.

I'm sure many others, yourself included Mini, "could of been a contender" ala, Marlon Brandon, in the various disciplines etc. open to us at that time. But, were stunted because of being a witness.

Blueblades

Blueblades

• blondie
    blondie

I take it you are speaking for yourself................that you feel you have been stunted....care to elaborate....

• purplesofa
  • Balsam
    Balsam

Both of my sons now 22 & 26 and I all agree that being in the witnesses stunted our social abilities and our appreciation for education. It's been 9 years since we left and understand the need to catch up. I figure my sons are about 4 years behind mentally and emotionally maturity. I noticed that most kids raised in the witness always seemed behind in emotional and mental development. I think the fantasy world the WTS promotes causes a definate disconnect to those who follow it.

• designs
    designs

Talking to a dear friend last night about 'The Gap'....however long you were a Witness..hell it only robbed 40 years from mine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit