Awake! 1/8/02 issue

by JAVA 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Patriot writes:

Is it just me or is it hard to believe that one can actually be a firefighter with responsabilities and be in good standing in the cong.?

Yes. We used to be very close friends of a JW who was a firefighter AND served as a pioneer as well as an elder.

I know that one could not be a police officer if it required carrying a gun; there was an article to that effect, the rationale being that if one used the weapon and killed a person who was later found to be innocent, then the officer would be considered "bloodguilty". If I remember correctly, there was basically an ultimatum given that a person in such line of work would have 6 months to change their job to conform with this "new light", or else face congregational discipline.

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• JAVA
    JAVA

mikelites,

No, I don't have hard facts about the Tower locking the doors. Several folks in this forum posted that information from some of the workers at Bethel. Perhaps some of them will post information on this thread.

ISP,

You raise an interesting thought, but I understand the Society locked the doors to keep people who needed help or shelter out of their buildings. Have we ever seen large groups of Witnesses doing anything to assist a community in need? True, some individuals will, like Jeff's grandfather, but that's not what large groups of Witnesses do.

Patriot,

I've been out of the Tower for many years, but from the 60s to the mid 80s, I didn't know one Witness who was a firefighter in the Dayton, Ohio area. However, others have pointed out how things have changed, at least in some areas. Firefighters have long shifts (e.g., 12 to 24 hours) at a time. Because of scheduling, it seems some KH meetings would be missed. That would have created problems for a JW when I was POW.

Cygnus,

You're right, during the 9/11 attack most didn't know what was going on or who was behind it. However, as we saw in the news, most New Yorkers helped in any way they could. One might expect God's Organization to take the lead in being the Good Samaritan, so others could identify them by their works. Fear-based religions sell fear, not assistance when others need it. Most New Yorkers showed compassion; the Society showed fear, if the reports about the lock down are true.

• Patriot
    Patriot

I am in complete shock...I guess it just happens to be the elders in my old circuit that had that frame of mind.

It just goes on to show you how "United" Jws are really not at all united in beliefs. What is acceptable in some parts of the country are not in others. Thats rediculous.

It reminds me of a afro american brother who transferred to our hall. He preferred to sport a "baldy" (no hair). When One of the younger hispanic brothers thought that, that was "cool" and got one too, he was removed from the mics and attendants list because of his "outragoues" hair cut.

Again at that time it was common for many english speaking brothers to have baldies but not the hispanics. And when we tried to do the same..we got the ax.

Like I said, Im surprised.

Mav.-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit