Resistance to WT

by snowbird 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

After reading the threads on fading vs speaking out openly against WT policies, I was struck by how similar this is to the Underground Railroad during slavery, and later, resistance to Jim Crow.

In both situations, some jumped at the opportunity to escape bondage or oppression. Others chose a more indirect approach and were often reproached for doing so.

In the case of the Underground Railroad, several factors kept slaves rooted to the plantation - fear of the unknown, concern for families left behind, a sense of loyalty and indebtedness to their masters, a deep hope that things would, must, get better.

Resistance to Jim Crow operated along similar lines. Those who had the least to lose were at the front of the battle. Others, encumbered by family and finance, took a more cautious stance.

Yet, all were convinced that slavery and Jim Crow were wrong and used whatever means for resisting that were at their disposal!

Let us try to remember that and not hold any in contempt for whichever way they decide to deal with WT.

Sylvia

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Nice analogy, snowbird. Very well said.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you.

I came of age during the Jim Crow years, and am still saddened at how good, salt-of-the-earth people were ridiculed and called Uncle Toms because they rejected the in-your-face practices of some groups.

Sylvia

• journey-on
    journey-on

snowbird...

wisdom is total perspective -- seeing an object, event, or idea in all its pertinent relationships.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Amen, JO.

Proverbs 4

1 -2 Listen, friends, to some fatherly advice; sit up and take notice so you'll know how to live. I'm giving you good counsel;
    don't let it go in one ear and out the other.

3 -9 When I was a boy at my father's knee,
    the pride and joy of my mother, He would sit me down and drill me:
    "Take this to heart. Do what I tell you—live! Sell everything and buy Wisdom! Forage for Understanding!
    Don't forget one word! Don't deviate an inch! Never walk away from Wisdom—she guards your life;
    love her—she keeps her eye on you. Above all and before all, do this: Get Wisdom!
    Write this at the top of your list: Get Understanding! Throw your arms around her—believe me, you won't regret it;
    never let her go—she'll make your life glorious. She'll garland your life with grace,
    she'll festoon your days with beauty." MSG

Sylvia

• Terry
    Terry

I've been haunted for years by the quotation:

"All it takes for evil to exist is for good men to do nothing."

If each of us spoke out and spoke up it would make one helluva difference!

All the speaking and the speeches are certainly practised by rote on the side of cultdom!

There has to be a reckoning. If we don't speak out----WHO WILL??

• snowbird
    snowbird

My post was not to discourage speaking, but to submit that there are diffeent ways of speaking.

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover

I like your analogy...

It's better than my French resistance analogy...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    the courage to change the things I can, and
    the wisdom to know the difference."

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you, UnderCover.

Your analogy was a good one; it triggered my post.

Amen, Josie.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit