bttt for CoCo.

Sylvia

• LucyA
    LucyA

I'm Australian who or what is Jim Crow?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good analogy Sylvia..

Of course I would`nt know who the hell Jim Crow was,without you..

You are quite the Educater,when it comes to Black History..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• Gayle
    Gayle

As each of us have our gifts, each of us have our methods.

• tec
    tec

*My post was not to discourage speaking, but to submit that there are different ways of speaking.*

Agreed, and I think you submit your point very well in this clear and meaningful sentence.

Thanks, Sylvia.

• snowbird
    snowbird

LucyA, you will have to google Jim Crow.

This capricious laptop will not allow me to do links.

Thanks, Outlaw and Gayle.

CoCo????

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Tammy.

Sylvia

• Open mind
    Open mind

Very well said Sylvia.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that some "freed" slaves willingly chose to continue working for their former "masters" for a variety of reasons. I'm reminded of the elephant who is initially chained but eventually, after he's broken, can be held by a tiny string. I try to put myself in the position of 60-something year old former slave, average to below average intelligence, good at what I do, my white master is pretty good to me as "masters" go. Should I live out my days in relative security? Would that make me an Uncle Tom? It should be an individual decision. It doesn't mean I think slavery was good or should EVER have happened, but I could certainly see a person in that situation deciding to stick with the status quo.

I wouldn't wish an "awakening" on my aging JW parents. They've given their whole lives to the cult. Let them die with a comforting hope. Why add to their pain?

(Hope I didn't sound racist here. It certainly wasn't my intent.)

om

• snowbird
    snowbird

Open Mind, there is absolutely nothing racist about your observation.

To be sure, there were cases where trust and affection existed between master and slave, plantation owner and tenant farmer.

I remember well the Great Migration, when millions of Black people left the South and went North, East, and West in search of better opportunities.

Some, though, stayed behind and worked for change.

My point is that whichever course was chosen, none should have been ridiculed for doing what they thought best.

I believe the same of those who decide what's best for them as far as JW's are concerned.

Sylvia

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Beautiful and succinct post, Snowbird.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit