Why the Society needs to have an interpretation for every prophecy

by Olin Moyles Ghost 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

The "prophetic" books of the Bible contain lots of wild imagery and vague predictions. For example, Daniel describes various periods of 1260, 1290, 1335, and 2300 days. Revelation contains discussions of a variety of wild beasts, trumpet blasts, etc. While the meaning of these items are a source of vigorous debate among Christians, the WT Society has put forth official positions which, of course, must be accepted by JWs.

Of course, a dirty little secret is that most JWs have no idea what the Society's interpretations of the 1260, 1290, 1335, and 2300 days are. They would probably be surprised to know that:

• The 1260 days of Daniel 12:7 represent 1914-1918
    • The 1290 days of Daniel 12:11 represent 1918-1921
    • The 1335 days of Daniel 12:12 represent 1922-1926
    • The 2300 days of Daniel 8:14 represent 1938-1944

When you read the explanation in the Society's Daniel book, the explanations are laughable--especially the 2300 days (hint: it involves some WT articles and a change to the Society's corporate charter). And then there's the embarrassing doctrine about the 7 trumpet blasts of Revelation being 7 district conventions in the 1920s. As a believing JW, I often wondered: why does the Society feel the need to come up with an explanation for everything? Why can't they simply say they're not sure?

I'm sure there's not one single answer to this question. For example, arrogance no doubt plays a part, as does inertia--once a doctrine has been taught for decades, there is some reluctance to change it unless a compelling need arises. But I expect there are some folks in the GB/Writing Dept. who are not convinced by these interpretations, and would perhaps prefer a more reasonable "we're not sure" position.

I think the main reason is the Society's need to project "unity" of worship. If the Society simply said "we're not sure what the 2300 days of Daniel and the 7 trumpet blasts of Revelation represent," it would open the door for Witnesses to speculate, which would undermine the perception of unity. We've seen this already with regard to the identity of the King of the North (here, the WTS was forced to back off its interpretation because of changing world events in the 1990s and 2000s).

This unity/uniformity of belief is one of the factors that the Society uses to "prove" that JWs are the true religion. How many times have you heard Witnesses brag that they can go to a KH in any city in the world and the same thing is being taught. This is because the Society has an answer for practically everything--including the wacky prophecies of Daniel and Revelation. As long as there's something "in print" about a matter, every JW is required to accept it or else be shunned.

That's my theory, anyway.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Nicely put; I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that this perpetuates the appearance of unity. Another aspect to it is the idea that "god's appointed channel" has the answers. It has to. "God's appointed channel", being led by holy spirit, can't "not know" something.

And when they come up with these off-the-wall explanations, applying prophecy to minor events in a minor religion, its adherents say, "Wow! Only 'god's appointed channel' could know these things!"

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Unity (conformity) is the ony explanation I could come up with.

I floated along for many years, but it was when I decied to "pay more than the usuall attention", aka when we studied the daniel book, that became the last straw for me. Reading one verse of scripture then reading (parroting) three or four pages of nonsense conjecture that pointed to modern times WTS, no, that wasn't for me. That was the last Book study (BS) I went to.

• rocketman
    rocketman

First of all Olin Moyles Ghost, let me say that I love your avatar and always laugh when I see your username.

In terms of what you posted, I often wondered the exact same thing - why even bother putting 'interpretations' of these prophecies into print? I can see the need to try to understand these writings, but if they can't, they can't, and there's no shame in admitting that.

When I conducted book study discussions of Revelation and Daniel, I was often uncomfortable "teaching" the WTS's explanations of these passages as found in the publications. When you're an elder, you're trying to "sell" the Society's teachings while deep down inside you can't buy them.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Olin Moyles Ghost, Zoiks, Maninthemiddle and Rocketman, .

• Gayle
    Gayle

Because they are extremely arrogant and puffed up with their knowledge(foul gas)!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Maninthemiddle has it, I think. Uniformity is just a buzzword for conformity. Conformity is about control via peer pressure (Google the Asch conformity experiments). Control over the 'belongings' is the ultimate goal of almost all WT policies. They control via authority (the "God's channel" angle exploits the findings of Stanley Milgram...peopletend to go along with authority even when experiencing doubts) and they control via conformity.

Putting both of these together, along with effectively isolating the members from outside ('worldly' or 'apostate') influence, makes it so that only the truly independent thinkers leave the borg. Many do leave but the majority stay in because of the psychological mind-control the borg exercises over its members.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think uniformity is a valid reason. Another similar reason is that WTS must appear to have all of it worked out, every last thing that could apply to them in the 20th/21st Century. If they have it all worked out, the average JW that even tries to doubt and second-guess them quickly sees how they don't just explain the 2520 days/years but have every last bit of Daniel and Revelation figured out. This causes the average JW to say "Well, they must be right. They have it all worked out."

• blondie
  • blondie
    blondie

I didn't understand any of these prophecies but when asked by a bible student and with the WT-CD in hand and my new computer, I found out a great deal. But as I have stated before doctrine was not the issue that got me to leave, but lack of love in the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit