Varying Rules in the Congregation

by cantleave 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

The society rarely phrases its man made rule as thou shall or shalt not, but makes "suggestions". The elders of each congregation will then enforce those "suggestions" to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the demographics of each elder body. The inconsistancies result in uncertainty and that in itself becomes an additional form of control.

It is possible for someone who has only experienced only one or two congregations to read someone elses experience on a site like this one and may think, that does not happen in the organisation. The truth is, it may not happen like that in your congregation, but it may very well happen in another congregation. This is entirely because,the rank and file are instructed to listen to the elders without criticism. The elders in turn without clear direction can interpret suggestions in any way they feel is appropriate. Those elders can then create a set of bye laws unique to their congregation.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

The elders are following the example of the WTS, who do the same thing in their magazines. Instead of saying, “you should do this” the WT will use expressions like “A mature Christian would do XYZ” which suggests to the reader that if they want to be a “mature Christian” (According to WTS standards) they should be doing XYZ. That way, the WTS is able to get its followers to do what it REALLY wants them to do without overtly appearing to be the coercive passive-aggressive bullies that they are.

• nugget
    nugget

I have been in 6 congregations all different all with their own way of doing things. Some were good and some were bad and ultimately it came down to the elders in each whether they cared for the flock or their own self importance.

• carla
    carla

This is yet another frustration for me, a ubm. I used to tell my jw about experiences related here and elsewhere and he would just say it doesn't happen in my cong. Then I would ask the obvious, 'where is all the unity you and the wt boast about then?' The fact is they do not have 'unity' of beliefs when one cong considers one thing a 'sin' or df-ing offense and another considers it a conscience matter.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

This is to me an explanation of why my wife doesn't belive some of the stories I tell her.

She spent her first 30 years in the same congreation where her dad was either an MS or elder for much of that.

while I have been in 5 different congreations, my first 2 that I grew up in was worlds different than any I have been in with my wife. They had all kinds of strange rules and seceret meetings and seemed to be a big proponant of disfellowshipping people who didn't fit in.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Another example:

http://www.jw-media.org/aboutjw/article23.htm

"...the local congregation elders are expected to investigate."

Some congs do and some don't; preferring to contact the local police first.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It also depends on who dragged you into the cancer in the first place. They claim that you are responsible for the truth "as you were taught". This often results in one person being taught that it is immoral to sell one's bad records while others are allowed to sell them. One person is taught that playing any pre-1985 1987 Michael Jackson records is "supporting that apostate" while another reasons that, since they already paid for the records, they might as well enjoy them. One person is brought in where there is zero tolerance for even looking at Christmas decorations, while another is allowed to drive around at night and look at the lights and enjoy them. One is brought in where there are 225 135 songs you can listen to, while another is allowed to listen to anything but the very worst of music.

This disunity is enforced when your study conductor informs the hounders what he is teaching you. If he is trying to bring you in very strict, the hounders will reinforce the very strict system with you while allowing others being brought in more moderately to remain moderate. This often goes on long after the person is baptized--and the hounders will continue enforcing the stricter rules with individuals. It often gets passed along when new hounders, or a new hounder-hounder, take control--sometimes with additional rules. All the while, another individual in the same congregation is still allowed to listen to those Journey records and already-purchased Michael Jackson music. And, to go by Michael Jackson's disassociation in 1987 (the truth is he was out in June 1987) instead of 1985.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

WTWizard, I was a 3 rd gen JW and my dad was an elder, and this is the first I’ve ever heard of such a concept.

The elders will teach you according to the strictness of their standards. They don’t inquire what you were taught when you first became a JW.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I think what WTwizard is quite true. My mother was very strict, stricter than all the elders in my congregation. The elders kids were allowed to do things that I wasn't. If I stepped across my mother's boundaries she would tell the elders and they would counsel me about being "obedient to my parents", even if what she was complaining about was something they would allow their kids to do.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Cantleave, what you are talking about is double standards that applied to some elders and their families.

I say some because my dad was a very strict elder and we had to be “an example to the congregation”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit