• undercover
    undercover

Speed doesn't kill... stopping suddenly does

• minimus
    minimus

oh

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Once all of this fuss is resolved, I would.

I think this is a wake-up call for ALL auto manufactures who are just now starting to implement "drive-by-wire" technologies (operating the car without a direct mechanical linkage, e.g., a mechanical gear shift that is physically attached to the internal workings of the transmission).

I'm certain that all of the other auto manufacturers are scrambling behind the scenes to address their own drive-by-wire systems.

All of these new "drive-by-wire" cars need to have an emergency shutoff lever. This should be a mechanical linkage which, when pulled, will remove a critical connection resulting in the car powering down.

It could be one of several things:

• Interrupt power to the fuel pump
    • Interrupt power to the ignition system
    • Disconnect battery (for 100% battery powered cars)
  • minimus
    minimus

I'll bet you Toyota sales will take a huge beating for at least 2 years.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

If they were competetively priced, I would have considered one, in 2005. The Sienna was 32,000. The extended Venture with 8 passenger, dvd, and stereo with info center was 12,000 less. I think money in the bank is a better choice.

At 106,000km, I had front brake pads changed. Same original tires, and battery.

My friend bought an 06'Sienna, and he has had the battery replaced at 50,000km, and tires replaced at 57,000 km. As a trade last fall (before the recalls), he was offered a mere 17,000 bucks allowance.

Perhaps they were a better machine in the 90's? Google "engine oil sludge" and read all about engine problems as well.

Elsewhere has a point in that electronics are a disaster in cars with constant electro-static build-up. I wonder how many here have had their computers frozen for unexplained reasons? Imagine that on a car.

All manufacturers must stop, and return to linkages on the pedals and transmissions. A brake to computer emergency idle reset would be a good choice.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I'm hoping this fuss reduces Toyota prices for a long time. I had a Corolla Verso previous to my current car, it was perfect for my needs, nice built, well appointed and nice to drive. My car is due for change next March and I would definitely buy one again and what a bonus if it is bargain priced due to low consumer confidence.

• agent zero
    agent zero

only if it has four doors and can be justified as a good "service car" bahahah

one local witness was trying to sell her car and sent an email to all her witness contacts describing the car for sale. first line: makes an excellent service car!

• yesidid
    yesidid

I've got a Lexus and would buy another except that I don't want to part with this one.

y

• dinah
    dinah

I'd bet all the auto makers are shittin' their pants.

You can't take the human out of driving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit