Worlds Strongest Beer - Sink the Bismark 41% Scottish of Course

by cantleave 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• Gregor
    Gregor

Nothing wrong with a good boilermaker. Sounds like somebody saw a market for a pre-mixed one.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Leavingwt - Brooklyn does make some tasty beers!

Here's some more information about how Sam Adams had made Millennium, which was the strongest beer at the time it was sold:

http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbreak/archives/beerbreak20020214.php

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Anchor's 'Old Foghorn' Ale is pretty strong, too.

"Barley wine is an old-style brew known for its big, aromatic flavors, malty character and high alcohol content. Although individual brews vary, barley wines are rich and viscous with toasty caramel flavors. Typically brewed in limited quantities each winter, barley wines make for interesting, often delicious, cold-weather sipping. But with alcohol levels that range from 7 percent to 12 percent by volume, this isn't tailgate party beer. Like ports and sherries, barley wines are best savored after a meal. And like wine, they develop deeper flavors and character with age."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/25/WIGJL3TIBF1.DTL

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

What Gregor said. This has to either be a fortified by a distilled alcohol product, or is itself a partially distilled product. It could also be jacked beer. This is beer that has been brought below freezing and had some of the water content removed. That would be the ice at the top of the brew. Jacking however, also concentrates the fusel oils and all the other hangover producing stuff.

You can do it yourself. Have a cocktail called a boilermaker. You take a beer and hit it with a shot of whiskey. Bottoms up!

That isn't beer, it is a beer cocktail. It is a beer fortified "on the spot".

Why can't beer get that high in alcohol by itself? What Gregor said.

Alcohol is yeast waste. It's yeast "poop".

Just like you can't wallow in your own waste and survive, neither can yeast.

Very few strains of yeast can survive over 12% alcohol by volume or so, and that is only for the strongest strains usually used for wines and champagnes, and some kinds of beers and barleywines. Most beer yeasts start to shut down at around 4% alcohol content, although stronger strains exist for beers, like India Pale Ales and Imperial Stouts.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Leavingwt - Brooklyn does make some tasty beers!

Indeed. I would almost volunteer at Bethel again, just to be closer to the brewery! (Someone shoot me, please.)

On Saturday afternoons you can drink as much free beer as you'd like, once you take the FREE, 20-minute tour. I will remain silent on how many free gallons I must have consumed over the years.

Their crowning achievement is their Black Chocolate Stout (Russian Imperial). At RateBeer below, notice the average rating of 99.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brooklyn-black-chocolate-stout/531/

• zoiks
    zoiks

Yeah, one of my ex-bethelite (still JW) ex-friends would tell me stories of the multiple tours of Brooklyn Brewing! I am fortunate enough to have a great store nearby with an excellent selection of craft brews. I also brew my own, and have found that I mostly try new beers to see what I want to copy with my next batch... mmm.

Hey, BTS and Gregor, check this information out, it sounds interesting to me anyway:

Sam Adams surpassed Samichlaus in 1994 with its Triple Bock, which included maple syrup as an ingredient. It was fermented with champagne yeast and finished at a hefty 17.5% abv. For the arrival of the millennium, Sam Adams and Dogfish Head in Delaware both went after the record. Dogfish Head released its World Wide Stout, fermented with seven different yeasts, in December 1999 with a record 18.1% abv

This info is from the site I mention above. It's an interesting process that they speak of.

Edit: I did read that one of the Sam Adams high-alcohol beers had used the method of freezing and gradually removing the ice like BTS mentions.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Verrry interesting! Send me a couple of quarts and I'll give you my scientific analysis.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Send me a couple of quarts and I'll give you my scientific analysis.

I second that! (Will provide details via PM.)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Edit: I did read that one of the Sam Adams high-alcohol beers had used the method of freezing and gradually removing the ice like BTS mentions.

The classic is German Eisbock.

The Founders got wasted more than once on jacked cider. Just leave it out overnight in the cold and remove the ice.j

Sounds like a bad hangover to me, but no special equipment required to get high alcohol concentrations.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IMHO, if their isn't sufficient body and hops to accompany such a high alcohol content, it tastes awful. The Brooklyn Monster (at just under eleven percent) is about the max ABV that my tongue enjoys. The 7 to 10 range is perfect, for me, during the cooler months.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit