How Much are Your Conditional Friends Worth?

by leavingwt 35 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I am very fortunate that since leaving, I have formed friendships with 5 lovely people, who are friends in the all senses.

That is encouraging.

• dgp
    dgp

I'm not a JW. I recently had my first experience with conditional love. As in "If you join, I might be with you". I have never gone through what you have gone through, yet I was able to feel how bad this conditional love is. Before this experience, I didn't really understand the meaning of the term. Just for the sake of comparison, when I decided to leave my Catholic faith, I didn't have to tell anyone. I simply stopped going to mass. I'm sure my family didn't like that, but no one stopped talking to me, no one pressured me into going back, and, if I wanted, I could simply go back, sit in church, confess and take the host. That's how difficult it would be to be back to the Catholic Church. And I could pretty much go away again if I wanted, all without repercussions. Nowadays, my family knows me as one of several atheists in the family, and that doesn't mean they don't love me. I don't know what it would feel like to lose that love and that measure of freedom.

I feel for you guys.

• doublelife
    doublelife

How Much are Your Conditional Friends Worth?

They're not worth my sanity and freedom. The thing is, several months before I found out the truth about "the truth" I knew all my friends weren't real friends. After the meetings I would leave immediately. I never stayed to socialize with anyone. My husband was a little worried about it but I just didn't want to waste energy on fake people. Once I made the decision to become inactive I knew that my friends would stop talking to me. We had a girls night in October and I went out with them knowing that that would be the last time I would being hanging out with them. It was a little sad but I knew that it couldn't be any other way.

• besty
    besty

I recall a most heartening and upbuilding Watchtower Study about the value of a conditional friend.....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/159410/1/Blondies-Comments-You-Will-Not-Hear-at-the-06-01-08-WT-Study-VALUELESS

REPUDIATE "VALUELESS THINGS"

"The one pursuing valueless things is in want of heart."-PROV. 12:11 .

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

REPUDIATE "VALUELESS THINGS"

Sad, but true! Good one.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are not worth the time to walk to the Kingdumb Hell or even pick up the phone and call them. Many of them have done what appears to be "good deeds" that were nothing more than thinly veiled attempts to keep the opposite sex away from me. Such "friends" are worth less than nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit