Solving The World's Problems in 30 Minutes

by torn in two son 12 Replies latest jw friends

• torn in two son
    torn in two son

I do not have many teachers that I admire. (With the exception of a female eighth grade level english/history teacher, but that's another story). No, today I'm talking of a different exception. My Biology teacher. He's mad-scientist material, very passionate about science; and it's one field I may very well end up in. Last week him and I had a thirty minute conversation, while everyone else was doing bookwork, about physics, the building blocks of nature, the web of time and space, and man messing with the environment around us. With the blinders of JW-ism gone, your mind is allowed to run free with philosophy and abstract/critical thinking of the world around you. My private music teacher and I had a similar conversation, talking about God, the beginning of life, morality, religious extremists, and global warming. With two thirty minute conversations, with different people on different occasions, we solved the world's problems singlehandedly. I may be getting ahead of myself. Anyways, we seemed to get the hang of it pretty well and I'd like to open it up to you. How do you guyses and girlses solve the world's problems?

T.I.T.S.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I have been reading quite a bit about Permaculture, especially some of the literature from the 2 main originators of the idea Bill Mollison and David Holmgren. Everything we have in our present day world is possible due to the availability of cheap oil. It fuels almost everything we do. IF we hit peak oil we are about to come into an era where energy is no longer cheap or even available unless we can come up with a viable alternative. Holmgren believes we are about to enter a decline, possibly chaotic, that will lead us into a more matriarchal era.

I have posted this video before but it is a very interesting and exciting look at what Permaculture can do. Geoff Lawton is taking over where Bill Mollison left off as Bill is now in his 80s and semi-retired:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I wait until the appropriate article comes out in the WT, study it carefully doing additional research so I might be able to add an interesting but relevant point. I then reflect on the comments of my brothers and sisters as they share in fellowship and know that by myself I cannot solve the world's problems, but leave it in the hands of the creator to do so...or so I once thought...

...but my latest view (light bulb moment occurred some time between my coffee and sandwich - only 20mins) I think the best way to sort out the world's problems is ensure all "parents to be" are tested thoroughly for their worthiness to bring children into this world.

Crap parents = children with problems = another generation of problems (the term generation evidently refers to an overlapping generation without a time limit).

Stop nutters having kids and their influence will eventually die out. I would extend this to people who just don't care enough about giving their kids a great childhood (I did my best for them just doesn't cut it).

MMXIV

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Love would solve the worlds problems. But how do you implement love? How do you make everyone love?

We have the 10 commandments. Maybe they are to show us that no one can follow them.

Maybe some come close but everyone fails.

So the bottom line is we have to live our life and die.

If you are an atheist who doesnt believe in God, this is it.

If you are a diest who believes in Christ when you die, you will be resurrected.

There are other posibilities that I wont go into here. Molecues can be in more than one place

at a time so there are many posibilities. Parallel universes. Life is a journey.

Live your life and choose your God wisely.

• looking4peace
    looking4peace

T.I.T.S.,

:o) I'd love to hear the gist of your solution to the world's problems, but it would probably be over my head, being that it came from a meeting of the minds between you and your biology and art teachers. No doubt the conversation was deep and intriguing. When I seek to solve the world's problems, it's usually more about the relationship of trust with the person I am with, than it is about the solutions we come up with, in and of themselves. Being able to open up and have a mutual exchange regarding things you are equally impassioned about is invaluable. I am so happy that you found that experience recently...especially among teaching professionals.

All the best to you,

L4P

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We solve all our problems in Canada with a Beer..

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Solving The World's Problems in 30 Minutes

There is a tremendous tension between the haves and the have-nots.

If women shared the K.I.T.T.Y. more with us have-nots, there would be fewer problems.

It's all in Marx. Look it up.

BTS

• the real life
    the real life

Nice to see someone who is interested in permaculture!

TITS McGee, I think the best thing you can do to solve the world's problems is get to know yourself. Figure out who you really are and become that person. Being a JW retards the process of understanding yourself, because you weren't allowed to have a self. We were all trying to fit into a mold... Once you know your best and worst qualities, you can figure out what kinds of circumstances fit you the best, and where you can make the good qualities count and turn the bad ones into something useful.

Also, don't worry too much. Keep an open mind. Keep your options open. If you're the right guy, with all the right qualities to think about a certain issue, you'll be drawn to it naturally, whether it's a field of study, or even a person.

• minimus
    minimus

As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought Terry must've written this one.

• undercover
    undercover
    As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought Terry must've written this one.

Naw... it takes longer'n 30 minutes to read his posts...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit