Anyone seen Precious?

by Snoozy 41 Replies latest social entertainment

• Caligula1
    Caligula1

I saw the movie. I think the topic is good.

I was not impressed with the entertainment value of the movie, especially for $10.50. I think it's worth checking out on DVD. I did watch the whole movie.

Also, being a Black male, I like seeing important, sensitive topics (incest, education, the lack of higher education, etc) dealt with.

• watson
    watson

If it's rated R, I won't be able to see it. Maybe if it makes it to TV?

• awildflower
    awildflower

Ok, I saw it and IMHO, It was pointless. I mean, I know movies that show the struggle of the human condition, but there is usually a much evolved, positive outcome for the people involved. This one ended abruptly with know real point. I appreciate the story line, but left going "what was the point in that". It was a waste of my time for sure. Just my thoughts........

• snowbird
    snowbird

I haven't seen it, but my grandkids did.

We had "the talk" afterwards.

Sylvia

• awildflower
    awildflower

Yeah, that's another thing. I took my 13 year old daughter because we've handled Rated R pretty well in the past, but this was not good for kids her age or especially younger. She handled it, but I regretted taking her afterward.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Jeff Bridges is looking somewhat Kris Kristofferson-ish these days. I like it!

Regarding the movie "Precious", I have to be in the right frame of mind to see a film like this. It may take me a few years to get there. I do want to see "The Blind Side" but may wait for it to come out on DVD.

I enjoyed the movies "Earth" (looking forward to "Oceans" next month), "Up", Star Trek", and "Sherlock Holmes". I'm acutally amazed I had time to see these.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Precious is a depressing look at inner-city poverty and physical, verbal, and sexual abuse. It has a positive message but there is no happy ending. In fact the ending is a stark, grim monologue by the mother trying to give reasons as to why she allowed and perpetutated abuse.

Crazy Heart is a movie we have seen several times before -- musician with substance abuse problems makes good. The performances are good, the music even better.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Am I the only person here who saw District 9? Enjoyed it, funny, scary and topical.

• awildflower
    awildflower

I saw District 9 and I forgot how good that movie really was until they showed clips last night! Definitely one to watch.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I haven't seen Precious. I'm scared that it will break my heart. Some movies can leave me upset for days. Just like the movie "Boys Don't Cry". And then, there's the movies that I can watch only once. . .anyway, I know that I'm going to watch it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit