Indiana "Religious Freedom" (right to discriminate)

by Simon 274 Replies latest social current

• DJS
    DJS

NeverADub,

The one thing I do like about Libertarians is that they seek to limit government's reach into our lives. I believe we need them on the wall as a counter-balance to those who believe government should control everything. I believe government should do only what is necessary; the issue is one man's need is another man's want and another man's indifference.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/indiana-pizzeria-owners-said-theyd-131425798.html (The Internet has give over $500,000 to the pizza owners who were shut down from LGBT )

So this small mom and pop pizza shop, who said they were fine serving gay patrons who came into the shop but commented hypothetically when asked by a reporter if they would cater a gay wedding, said they would not. Suddenly in this small town, LGBT activists come from everywhere wanting to burn/shut the place down. Harrassing and threatening phone calls, etc. All because in their absolute right to their own opinion and beliefs, would not want to physically attend and cater a gay wedding.

So the LGBT keep saying they only want equal rights, not forcing it down peoples throats. Each time they harass and don't respect others rights to do what they want with their time and live how they chose, they lose more supporters.

I'm for people to have equal rights. But if try to force me to do things I don't want to do that's where I draw the line and will support any laws that counteract that and will double think giving my support for others.

That's why they have over half a million now and counting.

• DJS
    DJS

EOM,

I read that and I agree with you. That type of behavior accomplishes nothing.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Agree, we all want a better place where discrimination is based solely on merit. You just don't fight dogma with more dogma. Let the idiots ridicule themselves into oblivion. That's a better way to deal with religious zealots.

I have no idea what the fark you are talking about.

The best way to fight religious and other bigotry is with shameless mocking.

Don't feed their sense of persecution and therefore a divine purpose.

Feed the hell out of it. Kids are always embarrassed by their parents. When their parents are shamelessly mocked for being utterly stupid, the kids with figure it out. Homophobic bigotry will drop by magnitudes in a single generation.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

EOM

I love how you put all gays just wanting to be treated like everybody else in with these overzealous people wanting to shut this wonderful pizza establishment out of business. I guess us gay folk should just shut up and continue to be the doormat that we are. Maybe we should "wait on Jehovah" for society to come around and accept us just like southern folks in Alabama and Arkansas accepted blacks right after the Brown vs Board of Education of Topeka case.

LRG

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Cofty,

"Feed the hell out of it. Kids are always embarrassed by their parents. When their parents are shamelessly mocked for being utterly stupid, the kids with figure it out. Homophobic bigotry will drop by magnitudes in a single generation."

Disagree. The culture in which those kids are raised in reinforces/normalizes such thought and behavior in school and elsewhere. They're not going to be embarrassed by their parents unless perhaps they're living in a mostly liberal region.

I doubt that homophobia will drop anymore than racism has in the red states.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

littlerockguy -

Not sure what your stance is, first you say I shouldn't put all gay people in the same box as the activists. On issues like this example I don't usually see any saying it's wrong and disagreeing and many non gays who are supporters also attacking. So if you feel forcing people to do what they don't want and trying to shut them down is out of line then that's great to hear. But then your next comment is "maybe we should wait ...for society to come around" which seems to then reverse your previous comment and is in support of those activists.

I have not seen any cases, just like this pizza owner, when gay people enter their shop or place of business, people are telling them to leave and a sign on the door, "no gays allowed in this restaurant, etc". The issues are people who do businesses and work that involve traveling. If you are a caterer, dj, photographer, etc, and you do work that involves driving to a clients location, you should have EVERY RIGHT to refuse a job for any reason. Like with this pizza instance, there is a big difference between a gay person entering the restaurant and them refusing to make them pizza vs them asking them to drive to, attend, and cater their wedding. If they don't want to then bring your cash to somebody who will. Tons of people and businesses who'll love getting tons of extra business from others turning down gay clients.

But more clarification on the reason I'm seeing things as I've said.......initially the 'activists' were going for equal rights, not trying to force anybody or shove things down throat, peacefully and decently winning over support. Then suddenly laws start getting changed and they start getting more rights. Now the activists start changing and getting aggressive with those who will not only not support them having rights but then attacking as in this instance any who claim they don't agree w/ the lifestyle or wouldn't do a job involving attending one of their events. So no more just wanting equal rights and stuff, now if having an event or wedding and a person is asked to attend or work at it, they better say yes whether they like it or not.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

EndofMysteries,

"...initially the 'activists' were going for equal rights, not trying to force anybody or shove things down throat, peacefully and decently winning over support. Then suddenly laws start getting changed and they start getting more rights."

Their aggressiveness is the result of decades worth of resentment at how they've been treated in the past.

"Tons of people and businesses who'll love getting tons of extra business from others turning down gay clients."

That's not likely to happen in a small one store town.

• DJS
    DJS

EOM,

You made a bit of sense until you kept yapping:

"If you are a caterer, dj, photographer, etc, and you do work that involves driving to a clients location, you should have EVERY RIGHT to refuse a job for any reason."

You clearly haven't been paying attention the past 100 years or so as the courts have interpreted the Constitution. Your wishes or desires are childish and immature. Find another country or planet that will allow you to legally discriminate in such manner. We have adequately addressed your whining in this OP; the SCOTUS and the Constitution addressed it a long time ago, and continue to do so with the recent cases supporting gay marriage and the rights of gays to not be discriminated against in commerce and business. Grow up. Your childish attempts to have the final word in this matter is obvious to all. Your point of view has been heard and dismissed by the evidence. Deal with it.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Disagree. The culture in which those kids are raised in reinforces/normalizes such thought and behavior in school and elsewhere. They're not going to be embarrassed by their parents unless perhaps they're living in a mostly liberal region.

But that's exactly the effect we have seen over the past several generations.

I doubt that homophobia will drop anymore than racism has in the red states

Racism has dropped dramatically. I hope to see homophobia do the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit