Indiana "Religious Freedom" (right to discriminate)

by Simon 274 Replies latest social current

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy
    And yes, much of it is a choice! The problem is the gay agenda (much like the Society) is very shrewd in keeping things covered up. They allow NO dissent whatsoever. They preach tolerance, but only when it favors their position.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Actually they were doing them a favor--the fact that they served them graciously was favor enough.

Ah, so if they WERE doing them a favor (which we all they they weren't), they were simply hypocrites where were willing to sacrifice morals for money when it suited them?

Yeah, that doesn't deserve protection and doesn't help your case.

The law doesn't say you have to be nice when dealing with customers.

Correct and utterly irrelevant in every way.

But either way, this couple did what was best for the agenda--they cried "victim" and sued. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

The world never gets better without those wronged doing something about it.

• DJS
    DJS

Religion is a choice and it is also a protected class. It does not matter whether being gay is choice or genetics; the SCOTUS and regional courts do not consider that, as it is a religious issue - not a state issue. And neither should any of us.

Your 'morals,' as Cofty routinely points out, are based on a monstrous god with a practice of monstrous behaviors.

The biggest whiners I hear and see in society are the R Wing X-tian fundies who want to hold on to their hateful practices and society and the courts are not allowing them to do so. Continue whining X-tian fundies; I will consider it music to the ears.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    And yes, much of it is a choice

So, as a potential gay man, how would you feel about being discriminated against due to your potential gayness?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy
    But you are right about one thing, I must credit you! Everything you say will come true, because the bible says it will. God said, in the end he would cut the days short, for even the very elect would be deceived. So yes, morality may take a nose dive, and "times may change", but God is still on his throne.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Everything you say will come true, because the bible says it will. God said, in the end he would cut the days short, for even the very elect would be deceived.

The Bible says God will end the world because you are potentially gay and might need a gay wedding cake one day?

Wow, that's very specific.

• DJS
    DJS

Oh dear god, you are also and End-Of-Time X-tian R Wing fundie. The trifecta of hate. I would rather live for five minutes in a world full of decent people of all colors and persuasions that spend an eternity with the likes of you and those like you. Your 'morals' apparently include hating decent, kind, law abiding people for no other reason than an old book written thousands of years ago tells you that you should.

And as we have pointed out many times, the more religious an individual, state, region or country the more likely it is to be dysfunctional and 'immoral' based on your definition of it. Yet another argument for which you have no basis other than your 'feelings.'

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yes DJS, I do believe in the end of time--just because the Watchtower lied about it and botched it up, doesn't mean that I throw the bible out.

Anyway Viviane to answer your question, yes I would probably be mad, however I would still be thankful to live in a country where people aren't compelled to think all alike. So to me being discriminated against just means that I live in a democracy, not a dictatorship or communist country.

But then again, what do I know? The only time I have been discriminated against for potential gayness, was by a closeted (but self affirming, married, gay colleague), simply because I wasn't potentially gay enough--enough to sleep with him!

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Anyway Viviane to answer your question, yes I would probably be mad, however I would still be thankful to live in a country where people aren't compelled to think all alike

Sorry, but, "serving your customers" doesn't mean "think alike". I mean, let's assume you are gay and I run a vegetable stand. Are you saying I should be able to use police, fire and public health protections, accept tax breaks (all things paid for by gay people, BTW) and decide not to sell you and your boyfriend (who I am just imagine as Danny DeVito, for arguments sake) carrots and zucchini because of what I think you might decide to do with them?

Where do you draw the line? Where do you say "this is wrong"? You've already mentioned that basing discrimination on skin color is wrong, but what if someone thinks the old southern "1 drop" rule is what should be applied? Why does your chosen religion (and complete misunderstanding and selective application of that religion) mean you get to skate on providing service that you, as a person who is going to use public service and signed a public contract agreeing to serve the public can decide to break?

Why is the utter hypocrisy of serving fornicators and adulterers and gay people and taking their money fine until if for a specific ceremony not mentioned in the Bible?

But then again, what do I know?

Clearly we're all asking that.

The only time I have been discriminated against for potential gayness, was by a closeted (but self affirming, married, gay colleague), simply because I wasn't potentially gay enough--enough to sleep with him!

Riiiiiiight.....

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy
    Viviane, you ask where to draw the line--I think that was the problem with this law in the first place, it didn't draw the line. It never specified acts vs.people, and it should have had some language in it that prohibited actual discrimination against people vs. ( what they do). It should have specifically mentioned the wedding industry and cake bakers and florists--it also should have stated that people could not be discriminated against in buying gas, getting healthcare, etc etc--the important. I agree with the intent of the law, but disagree with how it was implemented---in other words there were no protections for real discrimination, which meant that people who aren't even religious could discriminate--you know the secular ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit