you should not have to choose between your religion and family ! (awake mag quote)

by looloo 24 Replies latest jw friends

• looloo
    looloo

last summer there was a big upset caused by an article (july ,ithink) in the awake about a hindu lady that upset her family by leaving her religion and joining jehovahs witnesses and the ironic thing was it had the above quote in it , that someone should not have to choose between family and religion ! i printed the article off and underlined that section , and recently sent it to my inlaws along with a letter , because they are upset about not seeing their grandchild because they banned their son from the house (he Sdisfellowshipped) i am trying to sort the situation out , and i thought they might notice the hypocrisy in the article , however that idea did not work as apparently" there are lies on the internet !" and father in law was not very happy to receive it , but it is from an awake magazine ,watchtower literature ! but i will agree with him that there are lies in it though , because it says you shouldnt have to choose between your religion and family !

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

that article was eye opening to me. i remember vividly having a huge fight with my wife about disassociated ones. i told her that if a hindu (or anyone else) leaves the religion they were born into / baptized into and become a jw, they would not want their family to stop contact with them and we would think it was cruel for the choice that they made in shunning. but if a jw leaves the wt society, it is ok to shun someone. there is not one ounce of logic to this. i was certain more people would pick up on this and run out the door.

• JWoods
    JWoods

It is very simple to a witness: It is perfectly OK for them to shun any member of their family they please - but it is NOT OK for non-witness family members to shun THEM if they do NOT PLEASE.

Note that much of this inter-family religious shunning is totally up to the discretion of the JW themselves, not so much the decision of the elders.

• zoiks
    zoiks

This was a huge one for me as well - it revealed a strong cynicism on the society's part that I hadn't truly been aware of. I may use it soon with my parents who are currently presenting me with the (false) choice: "stay in 'the Truth' and keep us, or leave and lose us".

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ is Run by DirtBag Hypocrites..

The WBT$ makes thier own JW Cult members,chose between the JW Cult or thier Family..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Some Jw's point out how Jesus was "quoted" as saying that he came to bring disorder and to drive brother aginst brother, father against son, blah, blah, blah. LUke 12:51

51 a Do you suppose that I came to grantpeace on earth? I tell you, no, but ratherdivision;

52 for from now on fivemembers in onehousehold will be divided, threeagainsttwo and twoagainstthree.

53 “They will be divided, a fatheragainstson and sonagainstfather, motheragainstdaughter and daughteragainstmother, mother-in-lawagainstdaughter-in-law and daughter-in-lawagainstmother-in-law.”

While this certaibly doesn't advocate hate, it does seem to state that oen will have to choose between religion and family, or does it?

Jesus also states that he brings peace and love, fellowship, etc...

So which one is it?

Notice that Jesus says that households wil be divided yes, but he doesn't say or even hint that this division will be cause for seperation or that a choice MUST be made between family and religion, how could one do that and still "honour they father and they mother'?
    It was simply a warning of the disagreements that Jesus know would happen when those converted to Christanity would have to justify themselves to others in their family of different faith.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

Does anyone have a link to that article? Or at least the issue it was in? I'd like to see it as well.

• AwSnap
  • Mickey mouse
  • THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    You shouldnt have to choose between your religion and family !

The good news is you don't have to.

I left the JW set up and managed to get rid of my religion and my family at the same time.

You could call it - a double blessing! It is normal for me to be lucky because I have many false gods to look after me, which is why I have survived as a gladiator for more than 2000 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit