Letter to Mom

by Coffee House Girl 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Just in case there are any faders that need help breaking the news:

I am posting this letter I left with my mother after I explained to her in person that I no longer wanted to be "in the truth". This was the hardest thing I have ever done & I was crushed that I hurt her so badly. I needed to leave, and I hope that she understands one day. She never responded to this letter, but still it was very therapeutic to write :)

Aug 2009 to mom:

I know you may not be happy with my life choices today.

I wish I could shield you from any pain- wish I could remain the kind of person you want me to be, and be proud of me. But I have chosen to not taking the course to be proud of. I’m making what feels like a selfish way out.

I don’t hold out false hopes right now- things like faith and hope are absent in me now, they left me almost five years ago (maybe even earlier than that). Please understand and believe its not your fault . I know you will still blame yourself anyway. Many people will feel they should've done more- but don’t torture yourself.

I am old enough to know better and I am able to make my own decisions. I am claiming my life as my own and not considering this time if it will make everyone else happy. Maybe I will rediscover faith and hope along the way, that’s an unknown and who knows what may happen? I feel have to take the risk in order to live my own life to it fullest.

I just cant live like a shell, or a ghost of a person anymore. I feel alive for the first time in about a decade now. I wish so much that I could share that part of my life with you.

Right now I see that you are so unhappy. I look back over your 70 years and gasp, you made so many sacrifices for your faith and what has it gotten you??? I know you are waiting for the new system to be happy, but at what cost????

My God! I just can’t keep doing it any more. The sorrow I feel inside by trying to sustain what you want me to be is to immense. I feel I have to be a whole person and not someone else’s perfect little girl. I tire of all the questions. Now the true girl can be seen without doubts of her intentions. I’ve let myself down for too long.

Please remember this is a choice I’ve made by myself, for myself. You are not to blame, you can’t make choices for me any more, only I can.

I love you mom and dad and will always be here for you when you need me. I cannot remove myself from being your daughter. That will always be a part of me.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Well written and candid. It is sad that parents are absorbed with guilt because they feel they should have done more. Maybe, one day your parents will see the JW-cult for what it is, a fabrication of lies, deceit and false hopes.

• purplesofa
  • maninthemiddle
  • zoiks
    zoiks

Wow, heart wrenching. Thanks for sharing this.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yes, thank you. I may need to write something like that one day. But, you're free now, and can finally breathe.

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Dear Mom

I know you raised me to be a good agnostic, but I 'tarded that all over the place by becoming a Jay Dub. Okay, so I shouldn't have smashed your statue of Buddha or set fire to your wedding pictures. I'm sorry. Now you're dead and I sort of blame myself. I shouldn't have put a live round in the pistol when we played Russian roulette.

Love,

Your sweet little boy Martin

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks for sharing that Coffee, If only I could have written that years ago for myself.

And by the way.....Welcome....so glad to have your here!

r.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

But I have chosen to not taking the course to be proud of. I’m making what feels like a selfish way out.

Please understand and believe its not your fault

Why should you be held accountable for you mother's bad behaviour? You didn't ask to be born into her cult. I didn't ask to be born into this cult.

It is not our fault.

Our parents chose to raise us in this religion, without doing due diligence on the doctrines and the leadership, and they have to bear the consequences of their decisions.

We .............................. are not guilty of anything.

Repeat after me......

It wasn't my fault.

It wasn't my fault.

It wasn't my fault.

It wasn't my fault.

It wasn't my fault.

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It's sad what the cult does to our families and our self-esteem.

Glad you have taken your life back, Coffee House Girl. Be happy. Be proud. Be you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit